Options
13»

Comments

• coastline
    coastline Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    From The Retirement Cafe: 'Lastly, let’s talk about “optimal asset allocation.” Gordon Irlam published a study in which he noted that, while it would be tremendously helpful to know the optimal allocation, his estimate of the 95th percentile confidence interval for equity allocation was roughly between 10% and 80%. Based on that analysis, I can’t know with any certainty at all whether rebalancing would move me closer or farther from optimal. Tweaking an asset allocation within 5% tolerance is, I believe, an example of the massive overconfidence prevalent in many areas of retirement planning. We feel certain about things that aren’t certain, at all.'

Let me repeat: 'the massive overconfidence prevalent in many areas of retirement planning'.

One lesson that has been true historically, and which may remain true in future, is that the returns on equities tend to be higher when the equities are bought (or held) when valuations are low, and tend to be lower when the equities are bought (or held) when valuations are high.

Are equity valuations high or low at the moment? In the US, at least, they are high.

As of 20th Jan trailing P/E 18

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxYntJBX4AYY3lv.jpg

Forward P/E 15

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxYupcHXgAEyiCA.jpg

Lets see how this correction plays out. If it falls further than December which was forward P/E 13 then commentators will be saying its cheap. As ever these so called bargain buys are quickly swallowed up and P/E will adjust higher again. Look at December we are 10% higher now but who knows where we are heading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=896xQ5qvBlc&feature=youtu.be&t=19m13s
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    From The Retirement Cafe: 'Lastly, let’s talk about “optimal asset allocation.” Gordon Irlam published a study in which he noted that, while it would be tremendously helpful to know the optimal allocation, his estimate of the 95th percentile confidence interval for equity allocation was roughly between 10% and 80%. Based on that analysis, I can’t know with any certainty at all whether rebalancing would move me closer or farther from optimal. Tweaking an asset allocation within 5% tolerance is, I believe, an example of the massive overconfidence prevalent in many areas of retirement planning. We feel certain about things that aren’t certain, at all.'

Let me repeat: 'the massive overconfidence prevalent in many areas of retirement planning'.

One lesson that has been true historically, and which may remain true in future, is that the returns on equities tend to be higher when the equities are bought (or held) when valuations are low, and tend to be lower when the equities are bought (or held) when valuations are high.

Are equity valuations high or low at the moment? In the US, at least, they are high.

I am struggling a bit to deduce what the positive alternative proposed strategy is.

One area where I believe the quote is misguided is that the purpose of setting up an allocation is not to try and predict the optimum. This cannot be known until after the event, and could well turn out to be either 100% equity or 0% equity. Trouble is that beforehand we dont know which.

The key benefit of setting an allocation is that it provides a control point which can be reviewed regularly but not too frequently. The alternative is to go with whatever seems right at the time, chopping and changing depending on the pessimism or euphoria of the latest blog one reads. Having set the allocation the obvious implication is that if price movements or withdrawals change it rebalancing is required unless one has a good reason to move to a different allocation.

It is no good saying 'the massive overconfidence prevalent in many areas of retirement planning' unless one can be more specific and say what parameters and strategies should be used instead of the prevalent ones.

On US equity valuations I read that the long term S&P 500 Price/Earnings ratio is about 15. The latest figure is 19.1. So rather high. However perhaps this is due to a relatively small number of large tech and internet stocks and that the bulk of the US is reasonably priced. The FTSE All Share P/E is 13.4 so perhaps rather low. As it so happens my geographic allocations have moved off plan so that US is too high and the UK too low, which demonstrates a good reason for rebalancing.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January 2019 at 4:57PM
    Options
    green_man wrote: »
    But this is the crux of the OPs question, when and how do you decide you are in a downturn and when do you use that cash balance and when do you top it up? It’s easy to look back and say How you would have done it in a particular scenario, not so easy when you don’t know if a 30% drop is coming after a 10% drop etc.

You look at your investments and decide what is appropriate to sell ie take profits when you can and try to avoid selling at a loss. Don't make this more difficult than it needs to be.

The idea of an "optimum allocation" is dangerous as it implies there is a best solution, there isn't, there are many solutions and someone needs to pick something that is appropriate for their circumstances and plan given all their assumptions. Having said that something like a 60/40 allocation on the efficient frontier is a good balance between risk and return in many circumstances, but if you have a big pension pot you can afford to either take less or more risk depending on your inclination.

You should be regularly (eg one a quarter) topping up you cash allocation from dividends and maybe taking some capital gains when you have them to support your cash flow. When you see the value of your equity investments falling your first reaction should be to economize and lower your withdrawal rate. It might then be a good time to emphasize taking income from your fixed income allocation or simply use some of the cash buffer. You can do this by rebalancing ie selling bonds instead of equities to bring your asset allocation back into balance. Setting a +/-5% threshold on your equity to bond allocations is one approach at triggering action, but there are many more.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure