Retiring Abroad

Options
How many poeple have retired abroad and to what countries.I personally retired to Colombia and am loving it , feindly poeple lovely weather so much to do and and enjoying a good standard of living, more so than I could ever afford in the uk , though i miss Scotland.just out of interest where poeple who like to take a leap and get out their comfort zone and experience something new in life.

Comments

• Ceme3000
    Ceme3000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's gone through my mind to move abroad, or take extended trips rather than fully take the plunge. What made you choose Columbia out of interest?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ceme3000 wrote: »
    It's gone through my mind to move abroad, or take extended trips rather than fully take the plunge. What made you choose Columbia out of interest?

Cheap Coke. :rotfl:
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure I qualify for this as I moved to the USA when I was 25 and retired from work there when I was 52. I have always considered moving back to the UK...which would be retiring abroad for me. The exchange rate makes that attractive right now, but there's a lot of paper work involved getting the finances and taxes sorted out and Brexit Britain isn't very appealing to me.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    Options
    ... and Brexit Britain isn't very appealing to me.

If you'd come back three years ago you could have helped vote against this madness !
  • Miiade
    Miiade Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, can you give a breakdown of living costs in Colombia, eg rental for a 2 bed European standard apartment, food, electricity, water, eating out etc - thanks.

I would like to try living abroad and am considering Cyprus or maybe southern Spain. Colombia is not on my list, but I would like to know more about the country.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure I qualify for this as I moved to the USA when I was 25 and retired from work there when I was 52. I have always considered moving back to the UK...which would be retiring abroad for me. The exchange rate makes that attractive right now, but there's a lot of paper work involved getting the finances and taxes sorted out and Brexit Britain isn't very appealing to me.

Brexit doesn't have much impact on everyday life. All countries have their political issues, so I don't see why it would put you off moving back here.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We are definitely considering retiring abroad. Though would initially do long term lets in various countries to check our preference.
    Columbia has never been on our radar, more likely Europe as more familiar with it, if we are still allowed. Saying that we change our minds every week.
    Would also be interested to know why you chose Columbia and what you do with your days.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• Colombia
    Colombia Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    several poeple asked why i retired in Colombia, along story short i have been coming down here for over 30 years, bought an apartment for 22 thousand pounds thirteen years ago. Very modern 3 bedroom marble granite kitchen 2 bathrooms have use of the swimming pool and gynasuim. I pay 150 pounds for water gas and electricity.60 pounds administration costs for apartment.food about 100 a month .vegetables are all fresh and there loads of different exotic fruits.the climate is warm where i live but you can find any climate you wish for in Colombia. I can live well on. 700 pounds a month.medical health is excellent i have private and pay about 800 pounds a year and am covered for everything I’m nearly 59..there beaches in the north jungles coffe region even snow. There is so much to see and do.tourism has really taken off.i really cant. Find any downsides only that its along way from my Bonnie Scotland. But here i will stay.please if you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    Brexit doesn't have much impact on everyday life. All countries have their political issues, so I don't see why it would put you off moving back here.

I don't like the direction the UK is going in as, once again, it seems to mirror the US far too much. I've chosen to live in Massachusetts because it provides some insulation from Trump's America and I will be voting and working to oust Pres. Trump at the next election. If he wins again I might well look at moving to another country, but post Brexit my options won't be as open. Ireland is an option post Brexit as I'm a UK citizen.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Colombia
    Colombia Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    my post was simply about retiring in colombia, and where other poeple have decided to live out their retirement,,,,pity its being taken over by. Brexit and American polices do you not hear enough of that everyday.very sad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure