Overpaid by mistake

Options
Good morning all. I have a small problem concerning a mistake made by my company concerning premiums for overseas working.I am a Field Service engineer for a major aerospace company and often work away on contracts made for the task.
Recently I had a pay rise and was surprised to notice that I received a lower salary than normal so I contacted the company payroll for an explanation.
It turned out that the contract I signed and agreed with HR, had the incorrect figures calculated on it and for 5 months they were overpaying me on my overseas premiums.
It was lucky that I noticed an error or this may have gone on longer.
Anyway, I am guessing that even though it is a mistake, signed and agreed on a contract that it will still have to be repaid. I have already contacted them as asked to repay over the next 5 months, in the same way it was received, and waiting response on this.
I am just wondering if this does actually need to be repaid as it was an agreement on a contract?
The payroll make many mistakes, and it also appears that several employees may have been underpaid for the last 5 years also, so another problem on its way.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you were in the position of the employees who have been underpaid I'm sure you would expect that to be corrected. That being the case, why would it be wrong to have to repay an overpayment?
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes it needs to be repaid.

Your offer to repay it over the same period it was paid is fair.
  • petesmith999
    Options
    Yes that’s what I thought and have offered to pay over the same period. In answer to the first reply, myself and several other employees have been underpaid over a 5 year period, which is in discussion at the moment. See last paragraph of post. The question we have asked is can we say that it will be repaid/ balanced out when the underpay issue is sorted? Company seem keen to only sort payments in one direction.
    Secondly it is not a salary overpayment, salary was correct, and is a contractual agreement mistake, so not covered under the same rules as salary.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it is slightly more complitcation. Did you know it was wrong? Was it obvious when you checked thbe contract?

If so, then yes, you will have to repay it.

If no, then you could seek to negotiate with them to propose that you will agree to sign a new contract for the lowerfigure and that they agree not to seek to recoup the extra paid in error.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a comment that if your name really is Pete Smith then given the details about overseas aerospace work, you're readily identifiable by your employer so should be careful what you say in a public forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure