Question about effect of self-employed earnings on bankruptcy

On the budget I originally prepared from this forum and from Business Debtline, I included my current monthly total from self employment which is -£48 and this was deducted from my total income amount. However when I came to fill in the bankruptcy application online, it asked me to enter the amount from my last tax return which was a loss of -£38 per month.

Then in my interview I was surprised when the OR said the loss from my self-employment couldn't be offset against the total income, which meant my total income was higher than I had originally shown. It still showed a minus figure though, so I haven't been given an IPA/IPO.

In the interview I asked the OR about submitting my tax return in January for 2017-18 and what effect this would have on my bankruptcy, but she just said 'submit it as normal'. Can anyone tell me if this is likely to trigger an IPA/IPO if I am showing a profit, or what other effect it could have? My self-employed income in 2017-18 was higher than normal (basically because I was technically supposed to be an employee at a previous job but it took them ages to get me put on the payroll).

Comments

• well no matter how long it took the employer to make you a PAYE employee your start/finish dates on your contract would confirm it as would you P45/P60...and your payslips...
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure