PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is National Trust membership worth it?

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    I'll declare an interest here, as I'm a National Trust volunteer.
    If you like looking round historic properties and/or walking in beautiful areas then it will probably be worth it for you. If that's not your thing, then you probably won't.

I work at a relatively small property, we get +/- 40,000 visitors a year, many of whom are members - so many people feel that it is worth their while.
    As to buying membership to Scottish NT, you can indeed, and it is cheaper - but you won't get any mailings about events in your area, and you won't be helping the properties that you are visiting. Your call, of course.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    Depends where you live. We do quite a lot of walks from places like Lyme Park and Mam Tor so take advantage of the free parking.DD lives in east Kent and reckons it's not worth her joining as there are so few NT properties there.

I think English Heritage is better for East Kent. Last summer we visited the castles at Dover, Walmer and Deal on days out.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't forget you can use Tesco clubcard vouchers towards / to buy outright annual membership of English Heritage. (not NT 'though.)
    Vouchers are worth x3 in value for this offer.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    If you take out membership at a property rather than direct with the National Trust (eg online), the property gets more than 100% of the membership fee directly into their own budget. If you have a 'favourite' property, this is a good way of helping them directly.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We've been members for about 20 years. when the kids were small we used it a lot but less so recently.

We probably don't (or maybe only just) reach the cost of the subscription in visits nowadays but see it as a charity donation. having said that, we do use it for walks in the grounds, and such like, even if we don't go in the houses.

It does depend on where you live and where you go on holiday. Some places are more blessed than others.

(I come from kent, though don't live there now, I thought there were quite a few places there? Knole, Chartwell, Ightham Mote....)
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Yes; if you have a car and regularly go for days out. Most NT properties aren't easily accessed on public transport. This is why my partner and I chose EH membership instead.

If you go to Cornwall for a week you will probably make back the cost of annual membership in free parking, as they own a lot of the coastline.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a family membership - although my 14 YO daughter often tends to opt out more now. We pay monthly by direct debit and generally break even. There's quite a few properties near to where we live, including Waddesdon, Nuffield Place and Basildon Park - all a good day out with a picnic (weather permitting).

It's also very useful on holiday.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we joined whilst on holiday last summer and viewed it as our anniversary present to ourselves. There are not a huge amount of properties local to us, but there are lots within a 1-2 hour drive, which is acceptable for a day out.

As CapricornLass says, we only have to visit 5 big properties over the course of a year to break even, we try to visit one a month to make sure that we are getting value for money.

Our nearest property is just 15 minutes away and has beautiful grounds so I'm sure we'll get a lot of use out of our membership there in the spring and summer months. It is an ideal place for a stroll and a picnic lunch
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    We've been members for about 20 years. when the kids were small we used it a lot but less so recently.

We probably don't (or maybe only just) reach the cost of the subscription in visits nowadays but see it as a charity donation. having said that, we do use it for walks in the grounds, and such like, even if we don't go in the houses.

It does depend on where you live and where you go on holiday. Some places are more blessed than others.

(I come from kent, though don't live there now, I thought there were quite a few places there? Knole, Chartwell, Ightham Mote....)

nothing much in East Kent. Wish we had somewhere we could go withinin five miles or so. those mentioned are lovely, and we’ve been a few times to them each.
    Carolbee
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm going to stand up here and admit that ive gone the New Zealand Heritage route for several years now, and if i hadnt have done, then we wouldnt have visited any NT properties at all, so they do gain from what we spend in the tea rooms and shops on NT sites. I used to work for NT and saw just how much money was wasted on bureaucracy ( as with some other large charities) and so i would rather spend the money ive saved on helping other, smaller, charities out too, which i wouldnt otherwise be able to afford to do so. Yes, i still have to pay for NT parking, but i dont find that unacceptable.
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport