PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker overnight

Options

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sealing your meat has two purposes..

One is aesthetic - it browns the meat, making it look tastier....in a goulash you will have plenty of gravy to cover any slightly pale meat!

The other is to seal in the juices, keep the meat moist....you are slowcooking your meat...it will stay nice and tender and juicy!

If you are making stock from 'scratch' then by all means prepare this the day before, and store it in the fridge.

No need for any fuss and bother...bung it all in, in the morning and enjoy your perfectly cooked dinner at night!

I couldn't agree more.
    I have a bouef bourgignon in the SC at the moment. The beef, shallots and carrots had been marinating in the wine since Saturday afternoon.
    Today, I drained the wine into a saucepan, put on a slow heat, placed the beef (shin) on a floured plate, then sauteed chopped onion, garlic and streaky bacon lardons in a large pot, with button mushrooms in another pot. When the onions etc had got some colour and the lardons started to crisp, I put them into the button mushrooms. I then deglazed the pot, put in some butter and olive oil and placed the floured beef in to seal. Once they had a good bit of colour on them - nearly black but not burnt (the wine makes them go really dark), I added the shallots and carrots to pick up the flavour, then the mushroom mix and finally the wine marinade which by this time had burnt off the alcohol. I then added a dash of balsamic and some dried Herbes de Provence, brought it up to a simmer and transferred it to the SC.
    Should be good for around 5PM:)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I appreciate that a SC can be a godsend for people wanting a meal ready and waiting after work.

I use mine for batch cooking so I put it on during the day at weekends or in the evening. So I don't have the problem of rushing to prep things when I'm on the way out. It's better than having to watch things on the hob and I can go out and leave it if needed.

I don't brown things in advance, just throw everything in. I rarely, if ever, eat things straight from the SC. I think they taste better the next day or even longer. They seem to marinate even in the freezer.
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    Options
    dh has just informed me that my slow cooker costs a bomb to run, is he right? or just winding me up? tia
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    t14cy_t wrote: »
    dh has just informed me that my slow cooker costs a bomb to run, is he right? or just winding me up? tia

https://www.npower.com/blog/2013/02/01/how-much-appliances-cost-to-run/

Slow Cooker: around 21p per meal
    A slow cooker is a very efficient way to cook a hot meal. The average 3.5 litre slow cooker uses about 1.3 kWh of electricity or 21p to power eight hours of cooking – that’s less that 1p per hour.*

Their maths isn't very good, that's less than 3p per hour!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 October 2019 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    Options
    Very misleading link. All the other methods were per hour and the slow cooker was for a meal, which worked out at 1p per hour. I don't know anyone who leaves a SC on for 21 hours.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm another who has never browned anything before putting it in the slow cooker.
    I do however roll the meat cubes in flour before putting them in.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Does that thicken the sauce or is it still watery Pollycat?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    Does that thicken the sauce or is it still watery Pollycat?
    It thickens it a little but I do try to only add as much water as it needs to cover the ingredients.
    I sometimes sprinkle extra flour onto the veg - carrots/potatoes/swede/onions/peppers etc - and stir it in before I add the stock.
    That does thicken the sauce, I've just about got that down to a fine art so that the finished dish doesn't need thickening.
    That's particular important when doing stroganoff or goulash as the creme fraiche/sour cream I add at the end also thins the sauce down.
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I appreciate that a SC can be a godsend for people wanting a meal ready and waiting after work.

I use mine for batch cooking so I put it on during the day at weekends or in the evening. So I don't have the problem of rushing to prep things when I'm on the way out. It's better than having to watch things on the hob and I can go out and leave it if needed.

I don't brown things in advance, just throw everything in. I rarely, if ever, eat things straight from the SC. I think they taste better the next day or even longer. They seem to marinate even in the freezer.

I do this too but usually eat the first portion straight from the slow cooker and freeze the rest. Which types of meals do you freeze?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure