Halifax overpayment interest £20

Options
Rang the Halix today regarding the MSE Iinfo concerning interest charged on overpayments of mortgages between 2010-2012. Three different people had absolutely no idea of what I was talking about. Because I finished my mortgage with them in April/May if 2011 apparently they can’t trace my account - even though I still had the account number! Their solution? Write inwith details and they will see if their archives show the mortgage account anywhere and then they will write an answer to me regarding the £20 reclaim as suggested by MSE- though none of those I spoke to had the foggiest idea what I was going on about! So if you have moved, finished your mortgage or changed providers more than 6 years ago, you’ve got a fight on your hands to get your £20 quid!!

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The MSE article suggest Halifax are sending out letter to all those effected. Have you ha a letter?

Do you think youve been effected? Ie did you overpay your mortgage at any point, make a one off payment or opt to pay weekly?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    though none of those I spoke to had the foggiest idea what I was going on about!

Why would they?

Its a minor refund covering a small selection of their customer base that is being handled automatically by Halifax and requires no action by the customer.
    So if you have moved, finished your mortgage or changed providers more than 6 years ago, you’ve got a fight on your hands to get your £20 quid!!

No you haven't. If you are on the list of people affected, you will be contacted automatically. Halifax has confirmed it has identified ALL customers affected. However, if you think you are affected and you dont hear anything in the next 2 months, you should ring 0345 850 3705. You do not need to do this now.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    MillieB wrote: »
    Rang the Halix today regarding the MSE Iinfo concerning interest charged on overpayments of mortgages between 2010-2012.
    Halifax will automatically refund all those affected. If you are affected, therefore, they will contact you.

It's not surprising that cold-calling them about a (potential) refund was met by general ignorance of the situation.

You really did not need to contact the Bank at all.
  • MillieB
    Options
    Actually I DID have to contact them - as suggested by MSE Halifax post- because I had moved and Halifax would not have my new address !!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had moved and Halifax would not have my new address
    Best to send such information in writing rather than telephoning one of their call centres.

However, how do you know you are definitely one of those in line for a refund?
  • MillieB
    Options
    Because I had a mortgage between 2010 and 2012 ( and prior to 2010) and I regularly overpaid the mortgage during the specified time limit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Because I had a mortgage between 2010 and 2012 ( and prior to 2010) and I regularly overpaid the mortgage during the specified time limit.
    Well good luck chasing the errant £20 refund you may be in line for.. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure