Buying Land from the Council

Options
Cotta
Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
Hi All,

There is a small strip of grass next to our garden which the council does not look after any long, in fact for the past ten years I have maintained this area as if it's overgrown it reflects badly on my own lawn. I was thinking of purchasing this from the council, what is the procedure for initiating such a conservation?

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you know it belongs to the Council? First thing to do is find out, for sure (not asking the neighbours) who owns it - Land Registers NI. It'll cost you a few quid (<£20), but then you'll know who to contact!

If you want to CLAIM posession, 10 years isn't long enough.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    How do you know it belongs to the Council? First thing to do is find out, for sure (not asking the neighbours) who owns it - Land Registers NI. It'll cost you a few quid (<£20), but then you'll know who to contact!

If you want to CLAIM posession, 10 years isn't long enough.

Not necessarily claiming possession but the land has been maintained by our family since 1995.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    You need 12 years to establish squatters rights of private land through notorious possession, as it's called. However, if it belongs to the queen, as public land theoretically does, you need thirty.
    Some man tried to squat a field behind drum manor forest, cookstown, by running cattle and making silage on it for 12 years. Clearly ill advised, he tried to register himself as the owner and ended up getting told to hop it.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do I initially ask the question?

I told you - you need to go to Land Registry - they've recently moved to beside the Waterfront - Lanyon Plaza I think it's called. You need to go there, spend <£20, and find out WHO actually owns the land. If the land is registered, you'll find an address in the folio, and you can write a letter to there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure