'Free' £4 wok with £5 spend on Uncle Ben's

Options
MSE_Rhiannon
MSE_Rhiannon Posts: 151 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
edited 8 January 2020 at 12:26PM in Gone off!
The 'free' £4 wok with three Uncle Ben's products is back at Iceland. You’ll find the ‘free’ wok displayed in stores on the shelf next to the Uncle Ben’s products. The offer's valid when you buy three rice or sauces at £1 each, and it'll go through the till at £5 for the bundle, so this year the 'free' wok actually costs £2 as the products are cheaper than last year.

Good if you need a new wok and can't find one for cheaper than £2 in the sales.
Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.

Comments

• olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The offer I saw on Iceland's website and in store was buy three selected Uncle Ben's products plus the wok for £5, making the wok £2 instead of £4, being as the individual products are £1 each.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or, buy 3 own brand rices at about 50p from cheaper stores, total spend £1.50, then don't have a wok at all and keep the kitchen uncluttered.

Not to mention all that fat/steam that'll make the kitchen greasy and dirty if you start using the wok.

:)
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a load of tosh your kitchen will get dirty and greasy if you use a wok ?where’s the grease from ? Don’t you use a frying pan ? If you don’t use a wok what will you use instead ?
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    edited 8 January 2020 at 12:31PM
    Options
    The offer I saw on Iceland's website and in store was buy three selected Uncle Ben's products plus the wok for £5, making the wok £2 instead of £4, being as the individual products are £1 each.
    Ah you're right - they've changed the offer from last year. Was waiting for confirmation from Iceland as to the offer details. Will update, thanks so much for letting me know what you saw in your local store :)
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    edited 8 January 2020 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Or, buy 3 own brand rices at about 50p from cheaper stores, total spend £1.50, then don't have a wok at all and keep the kitchen uncluttered.

Not to mention all that fat/steam that'll make the kitchen greasy and dirty if you start using the wok.

:)
    You can pry my wok from my cold, dead hands :rotfl: I use it for everything! Can't make chahan in anything else!

I don't use oil to cook though (I use a splash of water or soy sauce) and my kitchen doesn't get dirty from the steam, don't worry :) I do have an extractor fan though, so maybe that helps? Haha my kitchen is pretty cluttered though, I love my Japanese rice cooker and also my curry-making not-an-instant-pot-but-the-same-but-cheaper crockpot :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    What a load of tosh your kitchen will get dirty and greasy if you use a wok ?where’s the grease from ? Don’t you use a frying pan ? If you don’t use a wok what will you use instead ?
    I think the point is that frying the rice creates a bit more work cleaning up vs the cover it in water and bung it in the microwave method.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I think the point is that frying the rice creates a bit more work cleaning up vs the cover it in water and bung it in the microwave method.

I strongly suspect that the poster in question really doesn't know how to use a wok.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Amen to that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts