Self assessment newbie!

Options
I'm employed and in the process of filling out a self assessment for the first time and have a couple of questions I hope someone may be able to answer.

Firstly, I get medical insurance but it is payrolled as benefit in kind so it is included in my P60 gross salary figure and I've therefore paid the tax as part as my 'income'. Should I be listing this 'benefit' on my self-assessment when asked or is it already taken care of in my salary figure?

Secondly, my employer seems to have special dispensation not to produce a P11d anymore. I do have expenses, which I have a personal record of. The expenses includes private car mileage paid at a rate of 35p/mile. It would be nice to claim the relief on the difference, but I'm not sure if I can claim it without a P11d. And even if I can I'm not sure where I claim it.

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    If you include the medical benefit separately on the return then the calculation will include it and you will be taxed on it (again).

You need to tick the box to say you have job/work related expenses. That will enable you to include a claim for (business) mileage.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's not a 'special dispensation'......there is no requirement to report mileage payments when below AMAP rates. I assume by 'private car mileage' you mean your own car that you use for business trips?
  • lg13mza
    lg13mza Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks both. Yes, by private car mileage I do mean using my own car for business trips. Not much but every little helps!
  • lg13mza
    Options
    one last question, I promise! I'm confused by my savings interest and whether its gross or net. My bank statements have 'charged' me tax at 0%, but if I put the final interest figure in my calculation as 'net' it adds on the 20% tax. So I'm presuming I put my interest in the 'gross' box?
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lg13mza wrote: »
    one last question, I promise! I'm confused by my savings interest and whether its gross or net. My bank statements have 'charged' me tax at 0%, but if I put the final interest figure in my calculation as 'net' it adds on the 20% tax. So I'm presuming I put my interest in the 'gross' box?

Generally if there is no actual tax showing as deducted then they have paid you gross. It maybe just a badly worded statement that is confusing. It is possible to charge tax at 0% in some contexts but this wouldn't be the case on a bank or building society statement for savings interest.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    You should be putting it in the untaxed interest box. At the moment it sounds like you are trying to enter it in the taxed interest box.
  • lg13mza
    Options
    You should be putting it in the untaxed interest box. At the moment it sounds like you are trying to enter it in the taxed interest box.

Thanks, I thought that was probably the case, but just wanted to check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure