First Time Buyers - Life Insurance: Where do I start???

Options
Hi everyone :),

My partner (33) and I's (32) mortgage has been approved and our solicitors are currently undertaking the searches. :) We are thinking about our life insurance (eek) as we are not married yet. For the mortgage, we are thinking of having joint decreasing life insurance to cover the mortgage. Then, separately, have income protection and critical illness cover. Does that seem reasonable as we currently have no children? Though, we thought of also having level term insurance in place in anticipation of starting a family and it would be cheaper now than later.

Our families have never bought homes before, so we are new this process. So any advice given, would be appreciative?

Thank you in advance.

Fia :)

Comments

• YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    You need professional guidance on this. Speak to a qualified adviser / broker and they will guide you through your options. They (generally) wouldn't charge you either for this advice
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Joint life insurance is not really worth it, the price is like 80-90% of two separate policies and it's cancelled if any of you two dies. If you both die it only pays once.

Make sure to put the policy in a trust, most insurance companies and brokers will offer it hassle/cost free. This makes it much easier to claim and in the case of large estate cuts down on the IHT.
  • YHM
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    Joint life insurance is not really worth it, the price is like 80-90% of two separate policies and it's cancelled if any of you two dies. If you both die it only pays once..

Not sure the regulator would agree with your sentiment on 2 x life as opposed to joint life. They are all over this at the moment, as if you have one mortgage but 2 x life policy's, you are effectively overinsuring yourself
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • sal_III
    edited 16 August 2018 at 6:19PM
    Options
    YHM wrote: »
    Not sure the regulator would agree with your sentiment on 2 x life as opposed to joint life. They are all over this at the moment, as if you have one mortgage but 2 x life policy's, you are effectively overinsuring yourself
    I'm not sure what do you mean by regulator and by overinsuring?

edit: Looking at the other posts from mortgage brokers I think I understand where you are coming from - if as a MB you give the "wrong" advise on protection you might come under fire for recommending "too much".

Make sense if you are only doing it for the mortgage and nothing else, but for just a little more you can add a ton of extras. Not to mention that if you have kids, you might want to insure fro more than just the bare minimum to cover the mortgage.

I was coming from a normal person with 2 kids perspective and had Life insurance long before I got a mortgage. After the mortgage I just increased the cover to allow for the mortgage repayment, plus some extra for the wife and kids, at that point my wife was looking to take on life insurance as well and we looked at joined policies. The math made no sense. The cost savings on premiums over two solo policies was like 10-15% (something like £4/m in our case) and only pays out half, no matter how you look at it.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I agree with YHM, you take out life insurance to cover a need - the need is the Mortgage so once it has paid out and cleared the Mortgage you no longer need that policy.

You may decide that 2 policies are needed but the chances of needing 2 for the Mortgage amount, the mortgage term and on a decreasing basis are slim. It is probably more like a life policy to cover the Mortgage and then say another policy to provide an income (so in that case you might be looking at Family Income Benefit) or an amount for university fees or whatever it may be.

To the OP, the things you have quoted covers most things. The issue however is that very few people can afford all of them for the amount needed so there is usually some give and take to get it to fit affordability.

But it would be a good idea to speak to a broker as there are so many options. Guaranteed or reviewable premiums, if decreasing cover - what percentage do you put in?, deferred period(s), do you want to choose a policy on price or do you want to spend a little more and get more conditions and more ABI+ defintions covered and extra such as best doctors, nurses support should you make a claim? Do you go with own occupation, suited occupation, any occupation, ADL when taking out income protection?

I am not trying to baffle you wish science, but it is important to get it right. If/when you come to make a claim, you will be very annoyed if it does not pay out because of a misunderstanding in terminology OR it only pays out a fraction of what you expected.

If you do go down the path of single life policies (rather than joint), which trust do you put it in? Would you even put it in trust?

I used to work for a life office and I had 2 months worth of training. 4-5 months down the line of doing the job every day I was still learning what everything meant.

I have a trainee broker working for me and I double check everything they do on the protection front because the chances of her making a mistake and opening us up to a complaint are quite large (not to say she is stupid, far from it. But it is a complex part of the industry).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Long thread on Cherry about the FOS view of two singles against joint where mortgage protection is concerned.

I personally think two singles makes miles more sense but the FOS has other ideas.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • YHM
    Options
    Exactly...
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

• sal_III
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    I agree with YHM, you take out life insurance to cover a need - the need is the Mortgage so once it has paid out and cleared the Mortgage you no longer need that policy.
    Your work as MB is making you biased, only looking at life insurance from mortgage perspective. As if this is the only reason to take on a life insurance.
  • GoingOn30
    GoingOn30 Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's worth having a look at any sickness or death in service benefits provided by your employer and your partners employer before you make a decision.
    There's no rush to get it all in place before you buy, there's no reason you can't take out a policy the week or 2 after (moving house is stressful but probably won't kill you!).
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    Your work as MB is making you biased, only looking at life insurance from mortgage perspective. As if this is the only reason to take on a life insurance.

Not at all. I have actually said the complete opposite. You take out the insurance to protect against something.

So that might be a Mortgage, it might be an IHT bill, it might be to cover the loss of income and so on.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure