Taking out a loan after Mortgage Completion

Options
MissWitty
MissWitty Posts: 14 Forumite
Myself & my partner have recently completed our purchase on a property which has been lived in by an older person and needs a considerable amount of updating.

We need to take a loan out to cover the costs of the renovation, however having researched into this a lot of people are saying this could be an issue with our names not being on the electoral roll.

We aren't actually living in the property at the moment so our home addresses are the ones assigned to our credit reports as we both lived with our parents rent free, but when it comes to applying for a loan they will ask us questions such as do you own a house and is it mortgaged etc...this is where I wonder, are we allowed to apply for the loan at our parents home addresses where our electoral roll is registered, but also state we own a property and pay a mortgage?

I am in the process of adding us to the electoral roll for the new property but would preferably like to get the loan out soon. I do have back up funds in the meanwhile which I can use from other savings but if the above option is available then I will apply that way.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They will see the mortgage on your files, so you'll want to answer that honestly.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apply now if you like and see if you get a good loan offer. If you get offered a high rate then use savings instead to carry out the immediate works and do the rest over time.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use the savings, they will earn less interest than you'd pay out for the loan and you can easily refill them using the money you'd save not paying loan interest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure