PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can I make bread without adding salt?

Options

Comments

• RhinoRog
    Options
    Having made bread the old fashioned way for many years, the one time I forgot to add salt resulted in very bland bread which nobody would eat!!!
    As regards Salt or Lo-salt, a nurse once told me that "salt is salt" - if any term includes the word "salt" it means salt, and I believe that includes Lo-Salt.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wikki says:

LoSalt is a salt substitute, made from 66% potassium chloride and 33% ordinary table salt (sodium chloride). It is produced by Klinge Foods in East Kilbride, Scotland.
    The product was launched in 1984, and is now sold in 25 countries, including the United States of America
    Too much sodium in the diet has been shown to increase the risk of developing hypertension (high blood pressure), which in turn can lead to an increased risk of heart disease and stroke
  • Sassaves
    Sassaves Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    When we found out that my elderly Mum's diabetic kidney disease was getting worse, I started looking for ways to cut down on salt - for her diet and the rest of the family too and have been teaching myself hand-made breadmaking for about 5 months now, with interesting results. Great fun though!

I don't add salt, but have found that onion powder from the herb and spice shelf in supermarkets is salt-free (and quite cheap) and adds a nice savoury flavour along with a sprinkle of chives. I do put half a teaspoon of sugar in too, but as i tend to use fast-acting yeast, i'm not sure that it's really necessary as a yeast-feeder? Don't know if anyone can help wtih that?

I don't touch salt substitutes like Lo-Salt as the high potassium content is apparently very dangerous for Mum with her dodgy kidneys as she can't excrete it.
  • bbq_lady
    bbq_lady Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I've been making bread from Paul Hollywood's recipes and always use Lo
    salt taste great
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RhinoRog wrote: »
    Having made bread the old fashioned way for many years, the one time I forgot to add salt resulted in very bland bread which nobody would eat!!!
    As regards Salt or Lo-salt, a nurse once told me that "salt is salt" - if any term includes the word "salt" it means salt, and I believe that includes Lo-Salt.

Lo salt is susposed to have 1/4 or 1/3 or something of the sodium of regular salt, I've been using it for years as I'm a salt monster.

Op - convert to lo salt

I always use real salt for bread, I wonder would lo salt be the same?
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I have high BP too and I do use lo-salt in my panasonic but I have never put the full amount the recipes specify as they taste incredibly salty (to me). You don't really need to worry about the amount of salt in hm bread, it's more the salt added to processed foods that you need to be aware of.

My only downfall is that I do like real sea salt on my boiled egg. :o

Oddly enough my BP is near enough normal now I'm not working! :)
  • wildcaz
    wildcaz Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a dialysis patients, so must restrict salt and potassium. I make mine with no salt and no sugar. It is very bland unless you flavour it with some herbs or something, doesn't always rise very well, but it makes excellent bread rolls, which don't have to rise so much.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pane Toscano (Tuscan bread) traditionally has no salt in it - there are lots of recipes if you Google it. I'm not sure though whether you'd be able to make it in a breadmaker as the flavour tends to come from a long rise, which you probably can't reproduce mechanically.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bread made without salt is very bland. I don't think the amount matters - that's the only salt I ever use. I don't cook vegetables or pasta with salt and I don't add salt at the table.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don!!!8217;t add salt, but I do add a bit of pepper otherwise it is bland. Can you have th sodium reduced salt?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure