Jury duty

Options
13»

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    !!!8220; Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

I'm 57 and have never been called. I'd love to do it.
    Originally posted by pimento

Ditto (apart from being a little older than you).

Anyone know if it's true that defence barristers don't like ex-Armed Forces as jurors?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone know if it's true that defence barristers don't like ex-Armed Forces as jurors?

It's about as true as the fact they don't like Daily Mail readers, for the same reasons.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    lulu650 wrote: »
    You'll have time hanging around waiting to be called, so bring your revision materials in with you and don't get chatting to the others.

This. Just reframe the way you look at this. You will be hanging round the court for hours, getting paid to do your revision.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    It's about as true as the fact they don't like Daily Mail readers, for the same reasons.

Double whammy, then.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This came up at a family do a couple of years ago, neither me, my parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles or cousins (over 20 adults in total) have ever been called, Makes me wonder if the courts think our family are too dodgy to trust with jury duty :D

I have never been called
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

I'm 57 and have never been called. I'd love to do it.

Be careful what you wish for!!! I used to feel like this and got called a few years ago. I ended up on a drugs case for 7 weeks listening to an expert witness talking about probability of mobile phones being used in certain areas at certain times, the A3 papers were in the 100s listing all the calls from the mobile phones, I wished I were back at work.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dribiddi wrote: »
    I have an Open University exam in a few weeks

That's likely to be accepted as a reason to defer your jury service if you're concerned about missing the exam/revision time
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Unless you're wearing a badge/tie how are they going to know? AIUI English law doesn't let them interview & reject jurors before the trial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure