Aldi Roly poly turkey

Options
Hi I maybe in the wrong forum totally . But I wanted to share this important bad news to save people have the Xmas lunch ruined. If you have bought a free range aldis Roly poly turkey do not EAT it. Bought one Saturday opened this morning to find it smells disgusting . Contacted aldis to find they blamed the suppliers packaging and they had had hundreds of complaints about this product from customers. Returned the stinky turket to the shop ( only way I could get a refund). When I arrived there were three people in front of me returning the same product Roly poly turkey all bought on different dates. I have a new one from Morrisons thank god. I just feel so sad for all families that open there turkey in the morning to the same smell and can't do anything as it's Xmas morning. Please check yours now if you have one. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread please delete if it is. I'm just trying to make some solid not having a spilt Xmas.

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear it sounds like quite a few people are going to have their dinner ruined.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Who leaves cooking the turkey until the last minute!

Of course Aldi are going to blame the suppliers, they themselves don't make them and package them. It's obviously a packing fault with the supplier and Aldi will probably get their money back from them.
  • PLRFD
    Options
    Who ? Loads of people.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Who ? Loads of people.

Same people who go out Xmas eve to shop then whinge when there is nothing left.
  • PLRFD
    Options
    Barrel of joy you are eh ?
  • sleepymans
    Options
    My Aldi Free Range Bronze Turkey Crown (£30) is OFF! It stinks! Yuk!

No turkey for our lunch today.....just the pigs in blankets etc.

Never had a problem with Aldi, or any other turkeys in the past☹️

Luckily I kept the receipt for a refund and even luckier we haven’t got guests for dinner.

I wonder how many others with this problem??
    :A Goddess :A
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sleepymans wrote: »
    My Aldi Free Range Bronze Turkey Crown (£30) is OFF! It stinks! Yuk!

No turkey for our lunch today.....just the pigs in blankets etc.

Never had a problem with Aldi, or any other turkeys in the past☹️

Luckily I kept the receipt for a refund and even luckier we haven’t got guests for dinner.

I wonder how many others with this problem??

Serious question, but did you not notice yesterday that it was off?

Or was it really off and not just because you kept it in the bag in a too warm fridge?

Seriously Im asking because so many people do this, buy the turkey, leave it in the bag, the fridge is way too warm because its packed to the rafters with food, and when they get the bird out Christmas morning, its stinking

Usually a good wash under the cold tap sorts it
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    According to the link in post #8, it's not just Aldi.
    Shoppers complained that birds purchased from Waitrose, Tesco,Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Marks and Spencer, Asda, Aldi and Lidl were rotten.
  • sleepymans
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Serious question, but did you not notice yesterday that it was off?

Or was it really off and not just because you kept it in the bag in a too warm fridge?

Seriously Im asking because so many people do this, buy the turkey, leave it in the bag, the fridge is way too warm because its packed to the rafters with food, and when they get the bird out Christmas morning, its stinking

Usually a good wash under the cold tap sorts it

I understand where you are coming from, however
    The turkey crown was purchased on 19th with a use by date of 26th and was refrigerated within an hour of purchase and stored exactly per instruction.

It was the type that is in a crinkly plastic bag and is supposed to be cooked in the bag, according to the instructions.

OH and I have both had heavy coughs and colds over the last week and didn’t have much sense of smell at all. We also hadn’t much else in the fridge as there were just the two of us for Christmas lunch.

Early Christmas morning I took the turkey crown out of the fridge to allow it to come to room temperature before cooking...as you are supposed to

As I removed it from the fridge I became aware of the odour but assumed it was the strong smell that’s sometimes present for a few minutes when you unwrap plastic wrapped meats........believe me, I wish one could post smells online! Within half an hour the whole house stank of putrid rotting flesh.

I did at that stage open the bag to examine the colour of the “corpse”....not easy initially as it was a bacon wrapped crown...but underneath it was a slimy greenish tinge.

Believe me, running it under the tap would NOT have revived it to an edible state!!

I have never had food storage problems in 40 years as a housewife and nor have i ever before had cause for complaint about anything bought at ALDI.

I assure you, no one would ever have tried to cook and eat something so obviously OFF.
    :A Goddess :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport