Pension/investment advice

Options

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been reading this thread with great interest. My situation is similar to the OPs (but not exactly the same) and I'm waiting for some figures to be generated by my company pension people. I'll be posting for advice and suggestions soon. :)
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was talking tripe in post #51. If herself drew taxable pension she would thereafter be restricted to contributing only £4k gross per annum. So her best bet is to withdraw at most the TFLS each year, and accumulate the rest until she's happy to settle for that limited annual contribution. Apols.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Trinity_Phil
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Looking at the OP's figures, the commutation factor for the pension is pretty good at about 20, which means he gets £20 of lump sum for every £1 of pension given up. There is no point in taking the lump sum if you need the higher income, but the OP says he can afford to live on the lower pension and wants to use at least part of the lump sum to pay off mortgage, buy new car, gifts to daughters etc. So it seems to me the choice is whether to take the full lump sum of £140k and invest the balance of £65k, or take a reduced lump sum of £75k.
    That is how I am looking at it, Audaxer :beer:

Like I say, I am on a 2 day financial awareness course next week, so will see what they suggest, and one of our former neighbours is also a financial/pensions advisor, so I will put forward some of peoples suggestions on here and see what they advise .

Thanks very much to you all for your advice :T
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Given that you are only 53 you hopefully have a good few years ahead of you so need to make the money work for you.

The financial awareness course will help but learning the difference between saving and investing is a start. Both carry risks. Saving at todays interest rates which are very low risks your capital decreasing in value through inflation. Premium bonds is an option or you could go through the route many people do of opening high interest current accounts (Nationwide, TSB, Tesco, Lloyds) and recycling money through them every month to fulfil their criteria. Investing carries more risk but there is a vast spectrum and you can choose less volatile funds to minimise the risk and diversify where you invest (in terms of geography and sectors and types of investment) to reduce risk even further. It is generally considered for medium to long term as you would not want to sell during a bad point in the investment cycle when the markets were low.

My DH retired age 58 with a similar lump sum to you but slightly higher annual pension. We had no mortgage so were debt free but we needed a car for him as he had a company car which was relinquished on retirement, we had helped our grown up daughters recently with house purchases so we did not gift anything further and we kept some back for house improvements. We also kept quite a bit back in cash to subsidise us as we had 8 years until state pensions kicked in (now 6 years). My DB pension was much lower due to working part time for many years. We invested £80k of the £150k the first year. £20k went into stocks and shares isas for each of us (Vanguard lifestrategy 60 which is a multi asset fund investing worldwide with 60% in equities (shares) and 40% bonds). We invested the other £40k in multi asset funds giving monthly income making sure to keep below the £2000 dividend limit for each of us as any more than that incurs tax. The remaining £70k we kept back and spread over high interest current accounts, internet savers, national savings and fixed rate cash bonds. Some is easily accessible and some is locked away for a few years to get better rates of interest.

I knew nothing about investing until then but read everything I could. We went to see an independent financial advisor but decided not to go with him and self managed instead.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • triplea35
    triplea35 Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2018 at 11:53PM
    Options

Like I say, I am on a 2 day financial awareness course next week, so will see what they suggest, and one of our former neighbours is also a financial/pensions advisor, so I will put forward some of peoples suggestions on here and see what they advise .

:T

I retired in 2009 at same age as you are now. The pre retirement course provided by my Force was hosted by a representative from a Wealth Management Company. See the recent post 'affinity connect' Not the same company but you can get the drift. In fairness we were given some interesting presentations,options explained and appearances from NARPO, Federation etc so worth attending but don't expect any advice as to your personal circumstances. At the end of the course among the handouts there was a lot of glossy info on the company but as I declined any further contact I never heard from them again.

I was offered virtually same values as yourself, a half pension of £19.7k ( but a lower lump sum) and a 40/60th of £26.3K. I chose the maximum commutation, solely to invest for additional security for my wife in the event of my death as I was aware it would not have any effect on her receiving a half of the full pension. In hindsight I see I could have planned for that possible eventuality better and regret taking the full commutation.

Since retiring pension increases have totalled 21% so the half pension is now just short of £24k pa whereas the 2/3rd's pension would be now just short of £32k!

As you do not appear to have any significant savings/debt your current lifestyle matches your current income. Do you really want to see a significant drop in income at your age and possibly rely on part time, possibly casual employment, to 'top up' your pension. It's a long time to State Pension age and you will find you do not even qualify for full SP. Get a State Pension forecast.

If you take full pension, or very close to it, taking into account you will no longer be paying hefty pension and National Insurance contributions your net income will not be significantly lower than your current net salary. You can use any future work as a bonus rather than a necessity.

Enjoy retirement! I tried it for four months, didn't enjoy it, found it expensive, so back in the world of work! :)
  • Trinity_Phil
    Options
    Excellent post triplea35...appreciate your advice, along with everyone else's...will have to sit down with the wife and work out our best options :)
  • Deneb
    Deneb Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to add a little to triplea35's excellent post, don't underestimate the value of index linking to the part of your pension not commuted to a lump sum, even though it is now linked to CPI not RPI.

As I mentioned above, I retired in 2011 with a full PPS pension at 30 years (although I had served longer) and took a relatively small part of the full lump sum available to me. I recently met up with an ex colleague who like you is retiring imminently with a similar full entitlement. Now 7 years later, my annual pension in payment is higher than his (and your) current full pension before commutation. I know we live in strange times, and that illustrates not only the power of compounded inflation linked increases to the pension, but also the relatively poor increase in police salaries over the same period.

Nevertheless, it's worth bearing in mind that although you will get CPI increases to your annual pension irrespective of the amount of lump sum you choose to take, a 2.4% increase on £26K (using the figure for next April's increment) is worth more than a 2.4% increase on £19K, and the difference will continue to grow with subsequent annual increases being applied to it.

Most of my colleagues who advocated taking the maximum lump sum based their argument on how long it would take to "earn" the same amount of money from the increased annual pension, if the lump sum wasn't taken. Their figures were always based on the fixed value of the pension at the date of retirement though, and made no allowances for the extra pension payments compounding over time.

By all means consider taking a lump sum if you are certain that you have a real need for it, the 20:1 commutation rate is a fair value in comparison to a lot of pensions. But by taking it all just because it is there, and having no purpose for it, you leave yourself open to its value being eroded by inflation over time, unless you are prepared to take on a degree of risk through investment that is greater than the certainty of inflation linking to the rest of your pension.

On another note, I have attended three of these pre-retirement courses. The first, about 5 years before I could have retired, was actually quite good, but was a week long so plenty of time to cover a lot of ground in some detail. The second, about a year before I retired, was two days long, and to be honest I found it pretty poor. The third, an NHS pre-retirement seminar that I was invited to along with Mrs D, was downright awful. I only knew that however because of the time I had spent reading these forums and educating myself financially in the intervening period.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Deneb wrote: »
    Most of my colleagues who advocated taking the maximum lump sum based their argument on how long it would take to "earn" the same amount of money from the increased annual pension, if the lump sum wasn't taken. Their figures were always based on the fixed value of the pension at the date of retirement though, and made no allowances for the extra pension payments compounding over time.

That happens here all the time. Idiotic.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Deneb wrote: »
    By all means consider taking a lump sum if you are certain that you have a real need for it, the 20:1 commutation rate is a fair value in comparison to a lot of pensions. But by taking it all just because it is there, and having no purpose for it, you leave yourself open to its value being eroded by inflation over time, unless you are prepared to take on a degree of risk through investment that is greater than the certainty of inflation linking to the rest of your pension.
    The OP has a need for £75k so I definitely think he should take that amount as a lump sum as he said he can afford to live on the lower income. With a really good commutation rate of 20:1 it could even be worth taking the other £65k as well and investing it if he already has sufficient income to cover his requirements, as it could also benefit his wife if she doesn't have as much pension provision.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just to add a little to triplea35's excellent post, don't underestimate the value of index linking to the part of your pension not commuted to a lump sum, even though it is now linked to CPI not RPI.
    Especially since inflation has been pretty low in recent years. Head back to the 70's when it soared into double figures (likely RPI since I don't think CPI was around then, but nevertheless) and the effects would be even more noticeable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure