Building regs for converting garage

I live in a semi detached house with garage attached. My neighbours garage is also attached to mine. I had the garage converted to a room through obtaining plannjng and company completed. My son uses this as a bedroom. My neighbour announced they have made their garage a utility. They have many electrical appliances cupboards and deep fat fryer...smelly. they have done this themselves. There are no smoke alarms or additional fire walls or doirs as they kept the garagd door. I am concerned at the risk of fire. Should they have adhered to building and fire regulations?

Comments

• Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Dianes09 wrote: »
    I live in a semi detached house with garage attached. My neighbours garage is also attached to mine. I had the garage converted to a room through obtaining plannjng and company completed. My son uses this as a bedroom. My neighbour announced they have made their garage a utility. They have many electrical appliances cupboards and deep fat fryer...smelly. they have done this themselves. There are no smoke alarms or additional fire walls or doirs as they kept the garagd door. I am concerned at the risk of fire. Should they have adhered to building and fire regulations?

Probably didnt need any building control .However you could ask your local council .loads of people have washing machines dryers ect in a garage .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • They may need a building warrant as it has been a change of use

They WILL require to regularise it (get permissions that meet the standards on THE DATE the council find out about it)

If you do work in Scotland in 2010 and they find out about it in 2018 then you need to comply to the building standards on the later date (which will be more onerous)
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport