Struggling To Get A Loan-Advice?

Options
Myself and my partner are about to sign paperwork to purchase a lease on a public house. He thought he could come up with all the money but he only has £9000. I need to borrow £7000 from somewhere to make up the rest. He can't borrow as he had bad credit years ago after some personal problems (he is fine with managing money now).

I have good credit, but I only work part time at the moment and only share rent. So all of the loans I have been applying for online are turning me down because I assume my pay is too low and I don't have a mortgage.

The annoying thing is when we get the pub I will be taking home after all the bills are paid £500 approx and I will be able to pay the loan back in no time. Is it worth asking my local bank TSB (who I bank with) for a business loan, if I show them my business plans, the pubs accounts and solicitors letters etc. will this be enough proof.

I'm really starting to lose heart. Can someone please advise? I may not be able to answer questions straight away as I have a business meeting this afternoon with the brewery. Also sorry if I have missed any information out, please let me know if I have.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Myself and my partner are about to sign paperwork to purchase a lease on a public house. He thought he could come up with all the money but he only has £9000. I need to borrow £7000 from somewhere to make up the rest. He can't borrow as he had bad credit years ago after some personal problems (he is fine with managing money now).

I have good credit, but I only work part time at the moment and only share rent. So all of the loans I have been applying for online are turning me down because I assume my pay is too low and I don't have a mortgage.

The annoying thing is when we get the pub I will be taking home after all the bills are paid £500 approx and I will be able to pay the loan back in no time. Is it worth asking my local bank TSB (who I bank with) for a business loan, if I show them my business plans, the pubs accounts and solicitors letters etc. will this be enough proof.

I'm really starting to lose heart. Can someone please advise? I may not be able to answer questions straight away as I have a business meeting this afternoon with the brewery. Also sorry if I have missed any information out, please let me know if I have.

You say he had issues years ago but how many years ?
    He should especially check his credit rating via the 3 agencies but remember the score is only seen by you, lenders see the history. In fact you should check your reports too especially if looking for a loan.

So your wanting to buy a lease for a pub, can you even use personal loans for this purpose, maybe you should check it's possible.

How do you know how much a loan would cost each month ?
    The payments could be £600 a month.

Do you have experience of running a pub ?
    It's hard, just going by what I've read on here.

Do TSB do personal loans ?
    If they do then no harm in asking.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    You definitely need a business loan, for which you will need a full business plan, show that you are putting in over 50% yourselves etc

As lending for pubs is on the risky end of things, you may even need to be putting up more than 50%.
  • RogueRose87
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I think my best bet will be asking the bank for a loan whether it be a personal or business loan. I have ran a pub before but it wasn’t mine, I just managed it. Also the landlord at the moment is a close friend so he’s going to help me get settled in etc.

I will make an appointment at TSB on Monday. I can get a loan with a guarantor but the interest is wild. I would be paying back just over double the amount. Also I wouldn’t mind paying back 600 a month, I just really don’t want a huge interest rate. But the way it’s going I might have to suck it up and take it on the chin.
  • RogueRose87
    Options
    I am going to make an appointment on Monday with the bank for a business loan and see how it goes. It’s just proving that I am capable of paying the money back. I have the pubs accounts from the last three years and we have done our projections. So I’ll take all of the business plans and accounts. Thank you for your reply.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I think my best bet will be asking the bank for a loan whether it be a personal or business loan. I have ran a pub before but it wasn’t mine, I just managed it. Also the landlord at the moment is a close friend so he’s going to help me get settled in etc.

I will make an appointment at TSB on Monday. I can get a loan with a guarantor but the interest is wild. I would be paying back just over double the amount. Also I wouldn’t mind paying back 600 a month, I just really don’t want a huge interest rate. But the way it’s going I might have to suck it up and take it on the chin.

As it's for the lease a business loan might be the only option.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    If the pub is tied to a brewery, might they not help you with a loan?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Word to the wise, dont take what your "friend" says as gospel, he wants to sell, he wants out and wants your £££ so he is only going to tell you what you want to hear.

Get it looked over by a impartial professional!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure