Fitness advice

Options

Comments

• billy2shots
    billy2shots Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    After more than a decade and a half in and around fitness and weight training my opinion has been formed.

Like everything, it’s important not to stereotype and there are undoubtedly some very knowledgeable PTs. Unfortunately they are drowned out by the majority who come and go within a year or two who think a steroid built physique is all they need to hit their sales targets.

Think about things logically. How many 40, 50, 60 year old PTs are there around? The ones that are will be referred to as ‘coaches’ and it’s these guys where you want to be spending your hard earned cash.

That 20/30 year old PT will be in car sales or any other commission based job within a short time.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    After more than a decade and a half in and around fitness and weight training my opinion has been formed.

Like everything, it’s important not to stereotype and there are undoubtedly some very knowledgeable PTs. Unfortunately they are drowned out by the majority who come and go within a year or two who think a steroid built physique is all they need to hit their sales targets.

Think about things logically. How many 40, 50, 60 year old PTs are there around? The ones that are will be referred to as ‘coaches’ and it’s these guys where you want to be spending your hard earned cash.

That 20/30 year old PT will be in car sales or any other commission based job within a short time.

It’s not well paid, and you need to stay fit to attract customers, it’s not surprising most leave. I know several ice skating coaches including my own who are also PTs. One is about 60, I suspect her ice skating coaching attracts PT clients. The way to make money is to run gyms.
  • danm
    danm Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s not well paid, and you need to stay fit to attract customers, it’s not surprising most leave. I know several ice skating coaches including my own who are also PTs. One is about 60, I suspect her ice skating coaching attracts PT clients. The way to make money is to run gyms.

Some PT's are amazingly well paid - and these are the guys worth seeing, but also important to know where the money goes....
    Paying £50 to a gym chain, who then pay their trainers £20 of that, is getting you £20 of quality
    Paying a professional coach £100 for them to share an hour of life-learnt knowledge is priceless and a much better use of money.

Also, seek out a PT who wants to interview you as a client. Top trainers will see their clients (rather than themselves) as walking adverts for their product - i know of some trainers who will turn down clients who they suspect will not be able to stick to the regime they would put in place, and therfore reflect badly on them as a trainer. Any company that protects there 'brand' generally has somehting worth protecting.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    If you have a group of friends who are into their fitness as well - or want to be - then setting group challenges can help, and doesn't necessarily require all being together to do either. A group of us for example set ourselves a challenge to exercise a certain number of days in November - my target was 22/30, others set themselves different targets - so while we were all working to our own goal, we had the group for motivation and encouragement. We've been using varying forms of exercise from classes, to the gym, to running, to home workouts - whatever works for each of us as individuals.

One thing that was said earlier which I'll underline - a lot of PT's offer nutrition and diet advice off the back of their PT qualifications. Being qualified as a PT does not make you an expert on nutrition - so before taking a "diet plan" from your PT find out what their actual qualification in this area is - they should be registered with either the British Dietetic Association (Dieticians) or the The Association for Nutrition (Nutritionists) - otherwise what they are offering you is more likely to be opinion, than expertise. :)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It,s hard to train outdoors in this weather. Have you thought abiut following some of the You Tube home fitness videos. There are a number of Lesley Sanson Walk At Home ones which are a good way to start.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,178 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Please press :spam: on post #37
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • TheMoneySpider
    Options
    StuHolmes wrote: »
    Have you tried parkrun. Every Saturday morning 9am, in most towns. Free. Very welcoming usually, as much or as little running as you like.

This was going to be my suggestion. You do parkrun at your speed. Run/Jog/Walk....the team will encourage you whatever.

It is super-inclusive and totally about getting people active rather than the elites shaving milliseconds off their PBs
  • Jaxson12
    Options
    for the outdoor gym, you really need gym equipment such as mat, gym gloves, keen wraps and wrist wraps for preventing yourself from injury
  • natbags
    natbags Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Highly recommend Joe Wicks, the bodycoach Lots of free content out there, Instagram, You tube (these workouts are fab and varied) and his books are also good
  • Sjane7420
    Options
    Run or jog 20 to 30 minutes every other day. You can also do other moderate-intensity activities like walking briskly, swimming, or bicycling. After your cardio workout, do three to four sets of body weight exercises like squats, pushups, lunges, burpees, or Russian twists
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure