Nebosh

Options
I work in construction as self employed builder but i want to get into health and safety. Would the nebosh general cert be a good starting point for me? also has anyone come across any funding for self employed people to do training?

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe read the replies to the identical question you posted 2 days ago?
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2018 at 7:18AM
    Options
    Maybe the NEBOSH National Construction Certificate is for you. As you already work In this sector, this should be a huge advantage with respect to familiarity and terminology.

The General Certificate covers a broader range of safety subjects and can be a very intense course depending how you decide to take it.

As for funding, I am not aware of any that is available during this period of austerity.
  • cnev
    cnev Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Nobody actually replied to my comment on the other thread . Those responses were from 2017
    Thanks for the help anyway
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did the general and got into construction with it with no prior knowledge of the construction industry, so as you already work in the industry and will be familiar with a lot of it already through your work and cscs it should be fine. However as a complete construction newbie I feel the Construction Cert rather than the general would have helped me more. I found the cert wasn't easy and quite a few on the course failed it - I was surprised I passed as I thought I was the class dunce and everyone else knew what they were doing apart from me.
  • sitesafe
    Options
    Re funding - not sure about funding but the costs varied tremendously from one provider to another. I found the best price was at the local college of further education
  • cnev
    cnev Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I am working in construction but have little health and safety experience really. Do you mind me asking what you done the course for? Did you find it easy to get a job after completing the cert?
  • sitesafe
    Options
    cnev wrote: »
    I am working in construction but have little health and safety experience really. Do you mind me asking what you done the course for? Did you find it easy to get a job after completing the cert?
    Yes I had no prior construction experience and My nebosh was the general. I got the job through a health and safety recruitment agency. There's a lot of paperwork and report writing, holding site inductions, plus visiting the site to do inspections and approaching people directly who might be working unsafely. You're not going to be popular especially if coming to the end of a deadline and people are rushing to finish a job which you may have to stop if they're no working safely. You do become popular when someone has had an accident and want to claim compensation and ask you to complete a report sometimes ...
  • sitesafe
    Options
    So it wasn't hard to get the job. The reason I did the course was because I enjoyed learning about the legislation. I didn't enjoy working in construction though !!
  • Helvetica_Van_Buren
    Options
    Yes, it would be a good place to start.

You can't get a CSCS card with it though - for that you need an NVQ.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure