Tax bill whilst bankrupt

Options
I was declared bankrupt on 3 Sept 2018 and have just completed my tax return for the year 2017-18 resulting in a bill for £930. Just wondering if anyone knows if I'll still have to pay this? I have no chance of finding it before the 31 January deadline. Have tried phoning HMRC but can't get through because they're busy...

Comments

• Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2019 at 3:24PM
    Options
    No you don't. Tax for year ended 05/04/18 predates your bankruptcy, therefore just file the return (to avoid any silly nonsense with fines)

HMRC should have issued you with a new UTR, just make sure you're not filing under this new reference number.

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Make sure the HMRC debt was included in your bankruptcy (check your list of creditors).
    Did you notify HMRC of your bankruptcy ? If you didnt do it today and HMRC will include the debt in their claim to the Official Receiver.
    HMRC will close your old UTR and issue you with a new one.
  • chickpeaz
    Options
    Thanks, that's helpful. HMRC wasn't on my list of creditors...I don't think I did notify them, so will do that straight away.
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    chickpeaz wrote: »
    Thanks, that's helpful. HMRC wasn't on my list of creditors...I don't think I did notify them, so will do that straight away.
    Quote your BR reference number to them, as unless you tell HMRC you have gone bankrupt , they don`t get notified.

Glad to have helped.
  • DannyPearce90
    Options
    Don't worry about it, you won't have to pay it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure