Is my local/authority/coucil negligent

The flat upstairs from me has been empty for some time now, over 18 month ago someone went through the close loft and managed to get into the flat above me and stole the copper and at the same time flooded my house quite badly, that time the council gave me around £200 compensation(what a joke). Then in September the same thing happened(entered through loft again) again ruining wallpaper, 2 carpets, lino,kitchen blinds, and bathroom curtain. They say they are not negligent but I say they are as an alarm should have been installed the first time that it happened(they have 1 in now). Ps. I live in Scotland

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You really need to speak to a solicitor.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    pattyno1 wrote: »
    The flat upstairs from me has been empty for some time now, over 18 month ago someone went through the close loft and managed to get into the flat above me and stole the copper and at the same time flooded my house quite badly, that time the council gave me around £200 compensation(what a joke). Then in September the same thing happened(entered through loft again) again ruining wallpaper, 2 carpets, lino,kitchen blinds, and bathroom curtain. They say they are not negligent but I say they are as an alarm should have been installed the first time that it happened(they have 1 in now). Ps. I live in Scotland

Hi PattyNo1 - our CAB representatives are only covering England & Wales at the moment. We'd recommend contacting your CAB Helpline or your local bureau up in Scotland to see if they can help on this. Here are the links to the websites for more information -

- Citizens Advice Direct Helpline in Scotland

- local bureau in Scotland.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not clear from your post, does that empty flat belong to the council? If not, then I don't see what they have to do with it, or why they would have given you compensation in the first place. If it is a council property then go to your councillor and ask him/her to investigate why a flat has been left unoccupied for so long, when I'm sure there will be a lengthy waiting list.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you have contents insurance? This should cover the damage.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport