Getting & staying debt free, whatever happens!

Options
1235»

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Beanielou I will PM you a link as you’re not meant to discuss. I’ve been doing it 7-8 months and so far so good though super boring I just warn you.

Thank you :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Eeeek I haven't done very well at posting :o will try to do so more regularly.

We had to get a plumber out for a leak which cost us £130 to repair - I used the money from our Christmas fund rather than the credit card. Really shows the necessity for building up a proper emergency fund when you own your own house.

I have £1,177 currently in a stocks & shares ISA which isn't that easy to access at the moment. I think I'll transfer that into my cash savings account and use a little to pay down some of my Barclaycard and keep £500 as a starter emergency fund (and also repay the Christmas fund).

One tiny positive is that the Barclaycard have credited the card £20 as part of their intro offer (I didn't realise this). So it's gone down by £20, yay :)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    Husband has been paid, yay!

I’ve not quite stuck to this month’s budget - haven’t gone into debt but haven’t maintained the savings I’d like for Christmas etc. It’s a very tight budget without a lot of slack which is making it challenging. However my credit card balance is down slightly to £2,117.38 which is great (as you may remember, my mum has paid my other card and I’ve to arrange to repay her at a later date). Hoping that once I receive the pay for my part time job this month I’ll be able to bring this down to below £2k. I’m also arranging to have the money in my stocks and shares ISA (around £1,185) moved to my cash savings account. I’m going to top up my Christmas savings to where it should be, put some money in my emergency fund to start it off, and use some to pay more off my credit card. I’d love to bring it down to £1,500 at this point, but we’ll see as I really don’t want to be leaving savings short. That’s what got us a lot of the debt to begin with!

Here’s our shiny new budget for this month, copied from YNAB (credit card already paid and more funds will be added when we get child benefit, my small wage and also my husband is being paid for some DIY work he’s doing for a family member).

SPENDING - WANTS
    Husband - £150
    Me - £20
    DS stuff & entertainment - £40

(Have left the home & garden, entertainment and charity categories empty for now)

SPENDING - NEEDS

Petrol & parking - £45
    Food - £140
    Household/cleaning - £25
    Pets - £25
    Medical/dental - £50 (I NEED new glasses, desperately)
    Clothes - £0

BILLS

Mortgage - £726.82
    TV license - £12.37
    Gas & electric - £77.96
    Internet - £20
    Council tax - £144
    Life insurance - £14.78
    My phone - £34
    Husband phone - £44
    Road tax (towards annual bill) - £12
    Car insurance (towards annual bill) - £50
    Home insurance (towards annual bill) - £0 as it’s due and I have enough in the pot
    YNAB (towards annual bill) - £5

SAVING POTS

Birthdays etc - £0 - total £0 (none this month but need to bump this up a bit)
    Christmas - £0 - total £100 (will add to this)
    Car MOT etc - £20 - total £20
    Emergency fund - £0 - total £0

Haven’t funded holidays or baby fund for obvious reasons in that we don’t have any spare cash!

This month I’m going to try and use the car as little as possible and also be really smart with the food shopping - we’ll see. I would like for us to go and visit my Papa in Aberdeen, but it might need to be at the end of June after the next payday, as it will use a lot of petrol...
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    Quick update. Spent yesterday morning in the garden, planting on some little kale, broccoli and lettuce plants I!!!8217;d grown from seed, and sowing carrots, radishes and mixed salad leaves. Gave the veg patch a good weeding too. It!!!8217;s not going to be a bumper year I don!!!8217;t think - the late spring plus the chickens digging up the veg patch not once but twice have NOT helped our progress!

Spent £10 ordering prescription glasses online - chuffed as I!!!8217;d budgeted £50 for this. The glasses were necessary as I have lost mine (which were a slightly out of date prescription anyway) and have been driving about with a taped up back up pair! The spare cash has been reallocated to our garden pot as we desperately need compost in order to repot our tomatoes, and could do with a couple of other bits too.

Also spent £17.22 ordering a set of puzzles and two books for DS. I!!!8217;ve been meaning to get him puzzles for ages as his are all too babyish and easy for him. One book I was desperate for and the other I added as I!!!8217;d like it and it made the postage free so it only added £1 to the overall cost. This comes out of my son!!!8217;s budget which has cash in it anyway. Trying to get in the habit of checking the budget BEFORE buying rather than going to update it afterwards!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure