Mortgage and working for family in new start up. Problems?

Options
Hi there, my sister has recently started a company within the last few weeks, she's investing a lot of money into this business and she is about to take me on as an employee of this business.

I'm going to be leaving a very well paid job for which I'll be earning about 15k extra a year working for my sister earning well in excess of £56k a year..

I plan on getting a mortgage in the next 8 months or so, will there be any issues getting a mortgage in this new job working for my sister even though by then she won't have a year's worth of accounts with hmrc?

I won't be paid cash in hand it will be through the books now I don't know the ins and outs of managing a company but she said she has a meeting with a payroll company on Friday to arrange managing my pay/ payslips and tax to HMRC and any future employees she eventually takes on down the line.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    It could be an issue for some lenders.
    It should not be a deal breaker but you may find your options reduced.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • JackTheLad1
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    It could be an issue for some lenders.
    It should not be a deal breaker but you may find your options reduced.

Thank you, when you mean options possibly reduced are you referring to decent interest rates and possible amount lenders are willing to lend?

Thank you
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Advise you to use a broker who will find a suitable place to find you a mortgage.
    Expect lots of checks as underwriters will be concerned that there is the potential for a conflict of interest - ie. your employer may provide them with info that is supportive of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure