State Pension & Bankruptcy

Options
Hi,

In the process of Bankruptcy in Scotland (sequestration) and drawing up a household budget for the AIB application. At the moment my only income is a state pension. Will I still be required to hand over any surplus income to creditors. There won't be much but Mr Google is giving mixed advise about whether state pension surplus is considered as a part of the creditors to feast on ? Anyone on a pension and going through this ?

Comments

• broaps
    broaps Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 15 June 2019 at 4:08PM
    Options
    I don't know about the Scottish system but in England the state pension is counted as benefit so if that is your only income you will not have to pay an IPA. That is my situation and the OR said I would not have to pay anything. Hope this helps.

If you also have a private pension, the state pension is included as part of your overall income so you could then have to pay an IPA.
  • See_Quest_Station
    Options
    Thanks for your response. The only other income I get is an annuity its not exactly a pension and it pays out a paltry £800 annually in April... Wondering if this will impact ?
  • broaps
    broaps Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    As I said earlier I can only speak for England, but an annuity is a type of private pension and here that would definitely be added to your state pension and the £800 equally spread throughout the year to calculate if there is a surplus to pay towards your debts. The important question is always how much you have left when all your reasonable expenses are taken into account and if there is £20 or more per month the OR will claim it. You may find the £800 will have to be paid over but make sure you claim as much in expenses as necessary so you do not struggle to live. It may be helpful if you could post your household budget here so we may be able to make suggestions to give you the best chance.
  • See_Quest_Station
    See_Quest_Station Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 16 June 2019 at 12:41PM
    Options
    Thanks again. Good to have found someone who knows what they are talking about. I now have a better understanding of the state pension coupled with an annuity. Clearly the latter is letting us down for such a small sum. Also its only paid once a year ! Cant seem to find a way to attach my household budget to the post ? Would have welcomed any comments Regards David & Beverley
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

That's one,I think there are others - if you click on MSE in the 'format results for discussion boards' bit it will sort it into a format that you can add on here.

EJ
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Your state pension needs to be listed under benefits as does any other benefits you receive. Your annuity goes under income.
    Do you not pay any council tax?
    You have nothing in for contents insurance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure