Wannabe Mortgage Free by Twenty Three (2023 that is!)

Options

Comments

• maia_evo
    Options
    Had lunch out today with a friend (regular Friday thing) so did spend today but totally worth it and not something I will cut back on.

Made the first transfer over to our emergency fund so that too has started, £264 in there. Delighted.
    Playing around with my spreadsheet it looks like I can transfer another £500 into the EF next week. Once again I am wondering where our money went before! Never mind, best take care of the here and now then the future will be taken care of. :j
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
  • wildesavings
    Options
    :T:T:T congratulations on your first OP!!!

Sounds like a great plan to start attacking that CC debt ! It'll be costing you far more in interest that the mortgage and once it's gone you can move your focus onto the mortgage. :D

Good luck with it all xxx
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    You sound like me! I'm almost 47 and plan to be MF in 5 years. It's going to be hard....my finances are finely balanced at best. But I have many years of being a DFW under my belt so need to just dig deep and revisit some of those traits again.

So....I'm right there with you, every step of the way! We can do this!!
  • maia_evo
    maia_evo Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 3 September 2017 at 8:52AM
    Options
    Thank you so much Wildesavings and Betterthanever.

I am getting to grips with the outstanding balance figure on the mortgage account as I've just worked out that it increases each day as the interest is added. The figure with my first OP and last regular payment on 1st September was £85003.53

Had a uturn on a major purchasing decision yesterday. I was thinking of buying a caravan (when saved the cash to do so as I'm never going to go into debt for purchases again - if I ain't got the cash, it ain't coming home!)!.

Decided to take it out of the plan as I remember what I wanted more was to NOT have winters living in UK and to head for warmer climates instead.

A did a kind of personal development excerise yesterday which was so helpful (if you google Tim Ferriss Dreamling you may find info). You clarify what you want to be, have and do within a certain timescale (I chose 6 months). You have to cost it out and write your very next steps in achieving it. It is a nice simple process and I think many MSE's would like it.

My Dreamling makes it obvious I need to focus on generating extra revenue (probably through my business) in order to be able to do the travel experiences I want in my life.

On the business front me and my partner have a couple of great meetings set up in the next couple of weeks with business owners who are interested in promoting our service to their own customers. They will earn a generous commision for anyone new that signs up with us.

I had a NSD yesterday so 1/12 for month so far. And I will be making my first extra payment on my CC next week. I think I will add this to my signature after all to help me keep focus on paying that down too.

I am really enjoying having my diary. It's very empowering as a writer and a reader of other people's too.

Well it's Sunday morning and my OH brings me breakfast in bed so I'll sign off to enjoy that. X
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Maia, I've just caught up with your new diary and wanted to say welcome. That's a lot of interest a month to be paying on the cc ( no judgement here, we have been very deep in debt!) would you consider using the emergency fund money to pay down the credit cards?

I appreciate its a personal descision, but I feel you have an offset it could always been an emergency fund as well, that's what I'm doing anyway.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • maia_evo
    maia_evo Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 September 2017 at 6:16PM
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    That's a lot of interest a month to be paying on the cc ( no judgement here, we have been very deep in debt!) would you consider using the emergency fund money to pay down the credit cards? .

Thank you, you got me thinking. I could use half the EF money. The other half is technically my OH's as it comes from our joint bill money. Then it gets complicated because if I needed to use EF and OH needed to fund that more as there wasn't enough... He has been extremely supportive of me already (aka bailed me out!) and to me the CC is something I need to sort myself. It wont take too long, I've managed to move things around on my personal spending spreadsheet and paid £616.50 off the CC today. :j

I have also moved extra money into EF to bring it up to £500 (what is it with needing to see rounded numbers!)

Today will be a NSD so that makes 2/12 for the month.

I would like to work out how to get my shopping bills down. I used to spend around £120 a week for 2 of us, and have set a new budget of £75. I managed within budget week 1, but have already spent about £90 for this week :eek:

This amount includes everything you would get from the supermarket, not just food.

I have been menu planning and switched to Ald! and my bills are certainly less, but no where near what some MFW's are achieving and they have families! I buy 2 bottles of wine max each week so that makes up between £5.79 and £11.58 a week. We have not being going out for meals out so includes breakfast, lunch and dinner for 7 nights. I don't eat carbs so filling meals out with pasta, potatoes and the like I can't do. Almost everything is made from scratch so to avoid hidden sugar.

Could you please point me to extra resources within the forum where I may learn more :D
    Now, I really do need to get on with some work that could have a chance of paying me!!
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    Ooh I'm right there with you on the food bill. Mine is too much but I too cook from scratch, have little to no carbs and don't do sugar. My bills are way more than they used to be when I was able to fill up with starchy carbs but I do still think there is room for improvement. I'm going to really focus on this for the next few months (before I have to start buying festive food!!!).

£75 should be more than doable....it's about what I need to aim for too so I'm with you all the way!!!
  • maia_evo
    Options
    Ooh I'm right there with you on the food bill. Mine is too much but I too cook from scratch, have little to no carbs and don't do sugar. My bills are way more than they used to be when I was able to fill up with starchy carbs but I do still think there is room for improvement. I'm going to really focus on this for the next few months (before I have to start buying festive food!!!).

£75 should be more than doable....it's about what I need to aim for too so I'm with you all the way!!!

We are on a similar path. I have to at least hit my budget of £75 then will look to reduce from there. People talk about the "old style boards" not sure what these are but will take a look around. :money:
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    You'll get loads of tips from OS.... you're not a proper moneysavingexpert until you've got a bottle of stardrops!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Old Style boards is a fab area for learning to be more frugal- it has a wonderful recipes section and meal planning. I regularly read it for inspiration of lovely meals with using up storecupboard stuffs too :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure