Xmas Dinner - Plate up or Self Serve?

Options
Hi

We are hosting Christmas dinner this year, and I was wondering what you all do with regard to serving the dinner. Do you plate everyone's dinner in the kitchen and give it to them at the dining table. Or do you put everything in serving bowls etc and put it on the table for guests to help themselves?

The reason being, my husband likes his plated up - so it's all hot and he doesn't need to add anything other than bread sauce/cranberry sauce etc. Whereas my father in law likes to help himself from the table (although that's not strictly true - he likes someone else to plate his dinner up from the main table so he can just tell them what he wants )

So..... my thoughts are plate everyone's dinner up (small portions) and then put extras of everything in serving bowls on the table for anyone to add additional food if they wish to.

Is that a good compromise?
Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd want it plated up.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    Are you talking about a buffet table?

For Christmas dinner I'd expect everyone to know each other well enough that you could just ask which they would prefer when they arrive.

("Different strokes for different folks" is possible?)
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    No, I mean the main Christmas dinner - turkey, roasties, sprouts etc

FIL has often said he prefers the dinner in serving bowls - but he never dishes his own dinner up, everyone does it for him!

Husband on the other hand likes it plated up. Me - I'm not fussed!
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Definitely if you are not used to doing Christmas it gets a a bit manic with everything on the table. Plate up smaller dinners and put everything else back in the cooling oven. Then as people want seconds either get them to bring their plates to kitchen to help themselves or put dish on table of the leftovers. Try not to have too much of the boring bits leftover in our house they all want extra potatoes and gravy and meat but hardly any veg.
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meatstuffs, sausage stuffing, pigs in blankets plated, the rest in dishes. I usually walk around the table "silver serving" some food to help the lazy ones.
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have 15+ for xmas dinner. We serve ourselves in the kitchen from the pans and there is extra spuds, pigs in blankets and suace along with gravy are on the table.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 December 2014 at 11:03AM
    Options
    No, I mean the main Christmas dinner - turkey, roasties, sprouts etc

FIL has often said he prefers the dinner in serving bowls - but he never dishes his own dinner up, everyone does it for him!

Husband on the other hand likes it plated up. Me - I'm not fussed!

I understood what food you would be serving but wondered about where the food would be in relation to where people are to sit - ie (a) buffet, where food is laid out separately and people either help themselves, starting with an empty plate, or someone serves them some of the items (eg the turkey) and they help themselves to vegetables
    or
    (b) the food is on the same table as that at which people sit. In that situation I would have the host carving the turkey and people select the rest of the main course themselves. (Hostess serves the pudding and others take brandy butter custard as they wish.) But then I'm probably a bit old fashioned for family meals. Take no notice.

I wouldn't plate up but would have turkey carved at the table and when the carving has started bring in the hot vegetables. After the ladies have been served with the turkey, FIL could have his food added to this plate by another - have more than one dish of each vegetable to make things quicker.

ETA: On reflection I'm much too formal.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 December 2014 at 11:11AM
    Options
    I hate having my food plated up for me, my family never ever plate up. However, for formal larger meals my grandparents would put meat on the plate (to ensure there was enough) and the rest was then chosen from serving dishes.

I think when we were a little younger the veg was silver served but teens+ should be able to get their own veg.

I'd never plate up a roast dinner for anyone other than my boyfriend (who I live with), I find it a bit rude and intrusive. Good luck!
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I understood what food you would be serving but wondered about where the food would be in relation to where people are to sit - ie (a) buffet, where food is laid out separately and people either help themselves, starting with an empty plate, or someone serves them some of the items (eg the turkey) and they help themselves to vegetables
    or
    (b) the food is on the same table as that at which people sit. In that situation I would have the host carving the turkey and people select the rest of the main course themselves. (Hostess serves the pudding and others take brandy butter custard as they wish.) But then I'm probably a bit old fashioned for family meals. Take no notice.

I wouldn't plate up but would have turkey carved at the table and when the carving has started bring in the hot vegetables. After the ladies have been served with the turkey, FIL could have his food added to this plate by another - have more than one dish of each vegetable to make things quicker.

ETA: On reflection I'm much too formal.

I don't think you're old fashioned, this is how we eat at family meals.
  • fiscalfreckles
    Options
    I plate up but put out extra veg & potatoes in serving dishes for those that want them. I offer more meat but leave that keeping warm in the kitchen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure