MSE News: Been affected by London's Tube strike? You won't get ticket refunds

Options
2»

Comments

• billse
    Options
    MS1950 wrote: »
    It's a bit ironic that the refund procedure for 'standard' delays (i.e. not caused by strike action) is:

"With Tube and London Overground claims, you'll get a voucher which can be redeemed at Tube and Overground stations",

when the current strike is about the planned closure of ticket offices....

The irony would be there IF alongside the planned changes there wasn't a rollout plan for a new generation of ticket machines that will be able to handle things like that.

Where that doesn't help is where you get stupid things like Southeastern's metro stations that have a ticket office that is usually closed or has a queue, and only a single ticket machine
  • billse
    Options
    so if someone who is not a party to this dispute - say, a someone on a zero hours contract who lost two hours' pay yesterday because they couldn't get to work on time - loses money, and the strike is/was totally avoidable, who should cover their losses? TfL did not have control over the strike: they didn't call for it, and were (according to papers) still open to negotiation. All this nonsense from Mr Crow about why won't the Mayor sit with him to discuss it - why should he? He's not the employer, he's the biggest (ok, only) customer of the employer. If i worked for the company that cleans RMT offices & had a dispute with my employer, and I demanded a meeting with Mr Crow, can you see that happening? Hahahah ..
  • MS1950
    MS1950 Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 February 2014 at 1:37PM
    Options
    billse wrote: »
    The irony would be there IF alongside the planned changes there wasn't a rollout plan for a new generation of ticket machines that will be able to handle things like that.

Where that doesn't help is where you get stupid things like Southeastern's metro stations that have a ticket office that is usually closed or has a queue, and only a single ticket machine

As you claim to know, perhaps you could explain how this “new generation of ticket machines” will accept, assess and process these claims for ‘normal’ delays or cancellations - i.e. that are “TfL's fault, or disruptions weren't advertised in advance” (rather than the result of strike action) – it seems quite an ambitious leap forward in technology?

Additionally perhaps you have an insight into how other issues currently dealt with by ticket offices will work?

TfL’s ‘The future of the tube’ says “All stations staffed and controlled at all times, with more staff visible to help customers”, and has a short PR video showing smartly dressed staff with hand held terminals advising one or two customers in an almost empty station ticket hall.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/28868.aspx

But in the real world – particularly during ‘rush hour’ – where they are likely to be inundated with requests - who do they serve first, those who shout the loudest, the strongest who push to the front? A queue won't apply. Elderly or disabled people won't stand a chance.

Unless, of course, they place themselves in some sort of enclosure (let’s call it an office) with some sort of arrangement to ensure that people needing help queue and are attended to in order…..
  • TheMacs
    Options
    I have an annual Oyster travelcard. This gives me access to the train, tube, bus (and a few other services). Whilst over the past 2 days, I could have queued with the masses for the tube, and arrived late to work, I decided to cycle.

During the period of the strikes, the strikers' salaries aren't paid. So TfL are, as I see it, saving money. My question is simply this: if TfL are "benefitting" from the strike, why shouldn't they be prepared to issue refunds to people who are affected by the consequences of that same strike?

Apologies if I've missed something fairly obvious.

Rich
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,631 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TheMacs wrote: »
    During the period of the strikes, the strikers' salaries aren't paid. So TfL are, as I see it, saving money. My question is simply this: if TfL are "benefitting" from the strike, why shouldn't they be prepared to issue refunds to people who are affected by the consequences of that same strike?

Apologies if I've missed something fairly obvious.
    So, expand your statement to conclude that Tfl would save even more money by not running the Tube network at all, ever. Didn't know they were a charity, doing it for the good of the country....

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• chattychappy
    Options
    Just another example of government double standards.

They happily impose consumer protection legislation on the private sector, but never expect to live by the same rules themselves.

Imagine buying something faulty from M&S and being told you can't get a refund cause it's "not our fault" or being told you can only have a voucher.
  • onesonsmum
    Options
    Query re: the tube strike. Does anybody know, Because of having to break my usually continuous journey, I had to pay twice once on overground, then a walk and then on underground. So it cost me more and great distress.

Can I claim a refund?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    onesonsmum wrote: »
    Query re: the tube strike. Does anybody know, Because of having to break my usually continuous journey, I had to pay twice once on overground, then a walk and then on underground. So it cost me more and great distress.

Can I claim a refund?

Having read the title of this thread, and the article linked from the original post, surely you know the answer to your question.

Can you put a value on the distress caused?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    onesonsmum wrote: »

Can I claim a refund?
    At which stations did you interchange between trains? In many cases, "out of station interchanges" are present, which will link the journey into one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure