Accessing tax free sum

Options
Is it possible to drawdown a tax free amount from a pension every month?
What I'd like to do is reduce my working hours and take a monthly tax free amount from my pension pot to make up for the reduced income. If I understand correctly this would also mean paying less income tax.
Using round numbers: with a pot of £200K I could take £50K as a one-off TFLS.
Could I instead draw on it at the rate of £10K per annum, leaving the rest invested?

If it's not possible to take a monthly amount then could I take a lump sum annually, put it somewhere that it generates some return and access it as required?

Comments

• kuratowski
    kuratowski Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2018 at 9:43AM
    Options
    The short answer: You can only take 25% of your pot as a tax-free lump sum. Anything else you take is taxed at your marginal tax rate.

EDIT: For more see w w w dot moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/options-for-using-your-pension-pot
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The google terms you're after are 'phased drawdown' or 'phased/partial crystallisation.'

Essentially you start off with your untouched pot, and 'slice' off a bit each month/year, withdraw the 25% TFLS from that slice and keep the remaining 75% in what is essentially a different pot within your pension fund (to signify that the TFLS has been taken.)

It's the 'Non-taxable income' line in the grid at http://www.aviva-for-advisers.co.uk/adviser/site/public/products/aviva-platform/income-drawdown

Using your question in your last para, for example, you could crystallise 1/5th of your pot the first year, 1/4 of the remainder the next, 1/3 of the remainder the next...

I'd imagine you could do it on a monthly basis instead...
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • crimsoid
    crimsoid Posts: 13 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks - what I want to do is exactly what you said in your 4th sentence.
    After 5 years the remaining pot should have grown a bit and I have a deferred DB pension that I will be able to draw upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure