Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • skylark52
    • By skylark52 19th Jul 19, 8:08 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    skylark52
    old bankrupcy order on Credit report
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:08 AM
    old bankrupcy order on Credit report 19th Jul 19 at 8:08 AM
    HI,

I've just checked my credit report prior to asking for a mortgage and found an old bankrupcy order from 2001 on there. I didn't even know I was ever made bankrupt! Now that is not strange as my late ex used my name on lots of credit cards etc, mostly didn't pay and kept everything hidden. But, I need to get rid of it and take it, it has expired now. How do I go about this?
    Thanks x
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Jul 19, 8:15 AM
    • 18,030 Posts
    • 16,952 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:15 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:15 AM
    Hi,

You need to make a complaint to the ICO :

https://ico.org.uk/

You have two issues,

(1) Its not your information,

(2) And even if it were, it should have dropped off the file after 6 years.

Complaints to the ICO take around 3 months, depending on their complexity.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Helping you deal with problem debt.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • skylark52
    • By skylark52 19th Jul 19, 8:38 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    skylark52
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:38 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:38 AM
    Thanks so much....3 months???? OMG I need to get it clear much quicker or I will loose my house. Is that an average time/
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Jul 19, 10:03 AM
    • 18,030 Posts
    • 16,952 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:03 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:03 AM
    Thanks so much....3 months???? OMG I need to get it clear much quicker or I will loose my house. Is that an average time/
    Originally posted by skylark52

Yes, thats what they state, but its the only way to get this resolved.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Helping you deal with problem debt.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • Helpmeoutofthismess
    • By Helpmeoutofthismess 19th Jul 19, 10:10 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Helpmeoutofthismess
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:10 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:10 AM
    If you did not know that you had been made bankrupt you need to check the insolvency service website https://www.gov.uk/search-bankruptcy-insolvency-register ,your discharge will probably have been suspended as the insolvency service were not able to get in contact with you. This would explain why the bankruptcy is still on your credit report, you will need to contact them.

H
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 19th Jul 19, 1:53 PM
    • 14,051 Posts
    • 11,054 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 19th Jul 19, 1:53 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 1:53 PM
    HI,

I've just checked my credit report prior to asking for a mortgage and found an old bankrupcy order from 2001 on there. I didn't even know I was ever made bankrupt! Now that is not strange as my late ex used my name on lots of credit cards etc, mostly didn't pay and kept everything hidden. But, I need to get rid of it and take it, it has expired now. How do I go about this?
    Thanks x
    Originally posted by skylark52
    I don't want to scare you but before you start complaining to the CRA you should check the insolvency register

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/

If you're on there then the CRA is reporting correctly. If you're not, it isn't.
    • skylark52
    • By skylark52 19th Jul 19, 6:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    skylark52
    • 19th Jul 19, 6:03 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 6:03 PM
    I'm a member of CreditReport and they have offered to deal with this for me. I have informed them of the advise given here and trust they know how to go about it. Thank you all for your help.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 19th Jul 19, 7:37 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 2,182 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:37 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:37 PM
    Why are you using a paid for service to view your credit reports?

Credit karma
    Clearscore
    MSE credit Club

All are free.
    • Flyright
    • By Flyright 20th Jul 19, 6:48 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Flyright
    • 20th Jul 19, 6:48 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 6:48 AM
    If your bankruptcy remains undischarged you will need to deal with the Official Receiver yourself.
    • skylark52
    • By skylark52 20th Jul 19, 8:44 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    skylark52
    Why are you using a paid for service to view your credit reports?

Credit karma
    Clearscore
    MSE credit Club

All are free.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards

First of all because I wasn't aware of them and secondly, I have used them before years ago when I was left with lots of debts which weren't mine and they have been very helpful with advise. They are not just a credit check organisation but also help with legal advise.

But thanks for that info. I will keep that in mind
    • terrence45
    • By terrence45 24th Jul 19, 9:40 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    terrence45
    You were a member of Credit Report but didn't know you had a bankruptcy since 2001? Money well spent..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,384Posts Today

8,589Users online

Martin's Twitter