Help with Self Assessment and Capital Gains

Options
2»

Comments

• Rhiaz
    Rhiaz Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    My final accounts were done in Nov 2016 though and the company hasn't traded since.

My accountant too is long gone.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rhiaz wrote: »
    My final accounts were done in Nov 2016 though and the company hasn't traded since.

My accountant too is long gone.
    I hope you don't understand what you've written because if not you will now have a fine from Companies House for failure to file (dormant) accounts and a confirmation statement for 2017. Have you done a corporation tax return - or had a letter from HMRC saying the company is not required to submit one because it is dormant for tax purposes?

The whole point of this thread is the company is not "done".
    It may well be dormant, but it is not yet liquidated and closed.
    How to do that is what the posts above are telling you about...
  • Rhiaz
    Options
    Hi,

Yes I did my final ct return and paid the corporation tax.
    I called HMRC directly in Nov 2017 and asked if any further accounts / CT were needed as the company was under application to be struck at Companies house and had been dormant for a yr.

They checked and confirmed that everything was up to date and that their systems showed it as being struck off so there was nothing more needed. He told me that the company would be classed as dormant from the year end nov 2017.

I will keep trying to get through to HMRC

I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rhiaz wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes I did my final ct return and paid the corporation tax.
    I called HMRC directly in Nov 2017 and asked if any further accounts / CT were needed as the company was under application to be struck at Companies house and had been dormant for a yr.

They checked and confirmed that everything was up to date and that their systems showed it as being struck off so there was nothing more needed. He told me that the company would be classed as dormant from the year end nov 2017.

I will keep trying to get through to HMRC

I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.
    sorry but that is still showing confusion. The HMRC definition of dormant for CT purposes is different to that used by Companies House

you would know if Companies house had struck off the company since it would no longer exist and the bank account and anything else still in the company name would have been seized by the crown

the fact you think you can still access the cash shows the company is merely dormant, but with approval from HMRC not to file CT returns. That does not mean it is exempt from the Companies House filing requirements.
  • Rhiaz
    Options
    No I'm sorry.

My company was closed down properly according to both Companies House and HMRC requirements at the start of 2018.

The company bank account was closed, the company no longer exists. I just meant the cash was paid into my own bank so I have to declare it to HMRC as income paid into my account this year even though it was actually profit from a few years ago.

I can't access anything to do with the company as it has been struck off and I have all documentation to prove this.

My original query was how to record this extra income (gains/ assets) on my self assessment return, which will hopefully be the last one I have to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure