Is my car at risk? & my daughters savings

Options
Hey,

I'm currently in an IVA and have been since 2015. I took a years break as I was unemployed for a year so I've not actually paid my creditors anything, just payplan.

My IVA is stressing me out with payplan and I find they make my mental health worse and worse.
I just can't afford to pay the IVA.
I am looking at going Bankrupt, therefore failing my IVA to do so.

My mum purchased me a car for my daughter and I. I work 20 miles from my home and I require the car to get to and from work. I also need it for the school run.
The car is a category D and therefore market value of 3,500. Am I at risk of losing this? I have no assets other than the car. It is all in my name as I don't live with my mum and needed insurance so therefore had to be me as the registered keeper.

I bank with nationwide and when my nan passed away my 5 year old daughter was left £2,000. This is in a junior ISA but is attached to my bank account. It's registered in my daughters name and she is unable to access this until she is 18. I hope this isn't at risk?

This has been a long journey to this conclusion. My debts are the result of an abusive toxic marriage.

I tried talking to stepchange but they said they will not talk to me whilst I'm in the IVA. I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing but I'm running out of options :(

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It's much much easier to keep a car in an IVA rather than bankruptcy

https://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/bankruptcy/#things

Remember an IVA is bankruptcy for someone who wants to protect assets, but if the car is the only asset you were protecting at the start of the IVA, that may be an expensive way to deal with it, and in fact is the owner of the car not your mum? Remember the owner is not necessarily the registered keeper.

Money in your daughter's name wouldn't normally count as your asset but if it passed through your account they may ask questions about it.

The only time I meet IVAs at work (debt adviser for CAB) is when they are failing or failed - all of those in my opinion were missold but it's difficult to prove as the companies providing them are good at covering their backs.

Edit: How much is your debt total?
  • baxterbaxter
    Options
    My mum gave me the money to pay for it... so the receipt is in my name. She paid it in two separate amounts but via bank transfer. So I'm not sure how that would work?
    I had a cheap car and it was constantly breaking down and costing me hundreds (or my mum hundreds!) hence why I got the new car.

We have offered the creditors 3200 to settle my IVA from my lovely mum. PayPlan have told me that it may be rejected and I won't be able to negotiate. That I will then end up having no choice but to go bankrupt.

I've been told I owe about 6k.... to be honest this IVA was the worse thing for me and I don't feel like it helps. Being told I can afford to pay 130 a month when I am borrowing money from my (poor) mum to feed my daughter and I just adds stress. I'm currently paying a reduced rate into my IVA of 58 pounds which is more doable but they refuse to accept it and keep sending out my IVA is at risk of failing.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    My mum gave me the money to pay for it... so the receipt is in my name. She paid it in two separate amounts but via bank transfer. So I'm not sure how that would work?
    I had a cheap car and it was constantly breaking down and costing me hundreds (or my mum hundreds!) hence why I got the new car.

We have offered the creditors 3200 to settle my IVA from my lovely mum. PayPlan have told me that it may be rejected and I won't be able to negotiate. That I will then end up having no choice but to go bankrupt.

I've been told I owe about 6k.... to be honest this IVA was the worse thing for me and I don't feel like it helps. Being told I can afford to pay 130 a month when I am borrowing money from my (poor) mum to feed my daughter and I just adds stress. I'm currently paying a reduced rate into my IVA of 58 pounds which is more doable but they refuse to accept it and keep sending out my IVA is at risk of failing.

6k debt in an IVA! Payplan should be ashamed.

If you have 6k of debt, no assets (car is mum's) and no surplus income, you do a DRO.

If you genuinely had £130 surplus at the start, a debt management plan would have suited, and you would have paid less than under an IVA
  • baxterbaxter
    Options
    I originally started paying 80 a month... then 58 pounds a month. I've been told they will not be able to go any lower than 58 a month.
    They've come up with a figure of 130 since my budget review.

I'm going to keep paying the 58 and see if they can go lower per month.

If I had the spare money I wouldn't have an issue but I genuinely don't.

Thank you for your help today. I will hope they accept the settlement figure rather than failing and making myself bankrupt.

Much appreciated
  • Jono987
    Jono987 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are payplan on these forums? Why on earth they recommended you an IVA and not a DMP is terrible, really terrible. Please don't go bankrupt over 6k, it's really not that much debt; a DMP would be perfect for you.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    I originally started paying 80 a month... then 58 pounds a month. I've been told they will not be able to go any lower than 58 a month.
    They've come up with a figure of 130 since my budget review.

I'm going to keep paying the 58 and see if they can go lower per month.

If I had the spare money I wouldn't have an issue but I genuinely don't.

Thank you for your help today. I will hope they accept the settlement figure rather than failing and making myself bankrupt.

Much appreciated

You are already insolvent. You are on the insolvency register. The only question is what form of insolvency suits you best. From what you've said here the answer is a Debt Relief Order.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies for jumping into somebody else's thread but I was interested to read that the registered keeper of a vehicle is not necessarily the owner and therefore cannot (?) be classed as an asset for BR. I always assumed it was the reverse.

What steps would need to be taken to prove the registered keeper and insurance policy holder are not actually the owner?
  • fatbelly
    Options
    You can't prove a negative. The owner would have to prove it's theirs with a receipt showing they bought it.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    You can't prove a negative. The owner would have to prove it's theirs with a receipt showing they bought it.

Private cash sale so only a hand written receipt which I'm sure anyone could fabricate.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bank statement showing the person withdrew that amount of cash on that day or just before might be ok with the handwritten receipt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure