Colouring hair.

Options
My question is how good are hair dyes you get from chemist/supermarket. I have let the hairdresser colour my hair for the last decade every 10 weeks (my hair is very short).
Will they last and are they good for the hair.
We have recently retired and even though the money coming in to the house is very good I want to save money.
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• leslieknope
    Options
    it depends on the brand really. some last just as well as the salon colours, some don't. it also depends what colour you want to go. darker colours are good quality from the supermarket but if you're dying it blonde then it's a lot harder to get a good quality job at home, but i think this has a lot to do with user error.

i use the john freida precision foam and the colour lasts really well imo. i dyed my hair 5 weeks ago and i'm still getting compliments on the shade! my roots are starting to sneak through but that's got nothing to do with the dye, just my greys... but it also covered those really well and the colour hasn't faded at all. i was paying £80 for the hairdresser to cut and colour my hair but this dye cost me £9.99 for two bottles and has done the same job.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I have been colouring my own hair for 50 years, and have been all colours, I would never pay to have it done in a salon. I must have tried all kinds of brands, but I haven't noticed much difference in them. I won't pay more than £5, mostly I pay £3 - £4, but have tried the £1 from the Pound shop. I suggest you go for a well know brand if you are a bit wary of trying cheap ones. You should do a skin test if you haven't used them before.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have never had a problem home colouring. In fact as I have short hair split the product and only mix half each time so save more money. If you mix the whole thing you cannot keep it.

I mix in a small bowl and the second time mix in the plastic bottle in the box. I stick to colours near my own colour so the natural blonds, even had a few people who thought the colour was my own and I didn't colour.

Be aware the colour always turns out darker than the photo on the front of the box. Stick to well known brands l'oreal clairol etc.
  • Litchielou
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone x
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    I have never had a problem home colouring. In fact as I have short hair split the product and only mix half each time so save more money. If you mix the whole thing you cannot keep it.

I mix in a small bowl and the second time mix in the plastic bottle in the box. I stick to colours near my own colour so the natural blonds, even had a few people who thought the colour was my own and I didn't colour.

I have got two applications out of one box as well, and now I generally stick to one that's a couple of shades lighter than my own hair. It seems to give my hair shine and bounce, and perks it up. I cut my own hair as well, so my hairdressing costs are minimal.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also cut & colour my own - haven't been to a hairdresser in 20 years so must have saved a fortune. I don't know what it would cost in a salon.

I only started colouring my hair a few years ago & now often just use root touch up every 6 weeks or when ever it needs doing. My hair looks natural & is in good condition & costs very little to run!
  • lillie421
    Options
    I dye my own hair as it is A LOT cheaper than getting it done at the hairdressers and I just find it a lot easier to do it myself around my lifestyle rather than making an appointment and spending a few hours in the hairdressers. I would suggest maybe using a more expensive hair dye if you are wary of the cheap ones and be sure to do a patch test! Good luck :)
  • Litchielou
    Litchielou Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Took the plunge and dyed my hair this morning (nice and easy) at the moment I am very pleased with the results. It was as the name suggests easy. Only gone a couple of shades lighter not to dramatic yet.
  • kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've used Nice n Easy for years (blonde) and find it doesn't dry my hair out.
  • Litchielou
    Options
    After one day my hair feels lovely wish I'd gone a few shades lighter but I was scared incase it went wrong. Next time I will be brave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport