The MSE diet - in all senses of the word

Options

Comments

• penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi fabfuture - a belated welcome from me and welcome to diary land!

Good Luck with your weight loss. I want to lose another 4 stone too x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • Karen_30
    Karen_30 Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! Just been catching up on your diary, you've been busy!!! Thanks, as you have spurred me on to make the very most of my day off :T

Sorry the date didn't go as planned - at least he was enjoyable company. Imagine if he was plain boring and you didn't fancy him :rotfl: It's always nice meeting new people regardless I guess. I'm kind of glad i'm out of the dating scene though.

Looking forward to catching up some more on what you've been up too soon :D
  • fabfuture
    fabfuture Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Karen, glad you're feeling inspired. And yes, I have been on dates where the guy is boring and unfanciable (although not boring and fanciable, hmmmm) and it's difficult. Anyway, work and other things are on my mind more than dating. Ta for the good wishes Penguin. Thought weight loss had been fairly much on the back burner and seemed to have put on a kilo in the past week (although could be partly PMS) and most seems to have come off again. Didn't eat fantastically well yesterday, but did walk for about 20 minutes on way to a seminar, then was given a lift (quite a good thing, think would have taken about 45 minutes and I was carrying an amount of equipment for it, so would have got unpleasant probably).

Last night, got home from seminar, which had a competition as part of it, and got a second place in one of the two major categories, so pleased with that. Also nice to catch up with friends and colleagues. Sat down and planned meals for the coming week, using as much as possible from existing supplies. Mainly, because the freezer is pretty much full (it's not that large) and if I did any batch cooking, there's nowhere for it to go.

Have been working since 6am today (been productive), but rest of day shows no signs of letting up, so got a lamb minceball in tomato sauce meal out of the freezer. Don't know if it will be defrosted in time for dinner, but hoping - and will be good to know for future reference. All I have to do later is put in saucepan & reheat (or could put in oven, since it's in a glass dish).

Hardly need any food this week, except some staples - rye crackers, oat cakes, vitamins, long life milk etc. Bought a pint of milk from corner shop, but prefer not to use shop if possible.

Can see light at the end of the tunnel for this cash crisis and have no intention of revisiting. This is where I usually spend - a kind of catch up - hence the meal plans and buying as little 'new' food as possible. Was on train returning from seminar yesterday & feeling worn out. Normally I would have had a gin & tonic or similar and worked out that would cost about £5, then I would get crisps or something to go with it, as I'd get the nibbles. Actually had diet coke, which was £1.10, but much better than spending about £5 more. I often take bottles of water with me (refilled ones), but already had too much equipment to bring extra weight. Feeling positive, although a long way to go here. Once I get to the point of knowing I can pay my bills safely, life will feel much easier.

Going to online bank account every morning is a good focus. A Paypal refund has FINALLY appeared in my bank account. It appears that there can be extra long delays (up to 30 days) if your account is attached to your credit or debit card rather than a bank account. Want to change that. As I was spending an hour with Paypal last week on the phone, trying to figure out what the delay was, I received an email to say the money had been processed, so either something had gone wrong or there was a heck of a coincidence. Anyway, pleased it's back in my account. Onward and upward.
    Debt at 13/5/09 £51, 970. Aim to be rid of this by 30/3/10
  • Swinstie73
    Swinstie73 Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Fabfuture,

Well done in starting a diary, I find it really helps to see where you are going wrong and get back on track. For me it's too much clothes/toiletries/bags, I could go on, ha!

Will subscribe and check on your progress x
  • fabfuture
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement S73. Found myself wandering around cake shop today (was peckish) and found that coffee cake was £2.?? something. I could have had a muffin for £1.35, but when I thought about it, didn't really want it, so walked out. So chuffed with that decision - for financial and calorific reasons! Hopefully that kind of decision-making will become habit-forming.

Knackered now from working since 6am, so going to do a couple more emails, then have a nap. After, will have dinner & go shopping in 24-hour Asda (after rush hour). Don't want to go shopping hungry.
  • fabfuture
    Options
    Ended up working last night, having a reasonably early night and going shopping today. Pleased with it - lots of green value labels everywhere (inspired by value lable shopping threads), and total was £34.01 and £3.77 at Aldi for baby plum tomatoes, blueberries and fruit compote. Luxury items today (that is, ones I didn't need to keep body and soul together or house in order) were the compote, blueberries, diet ginger ale, soda water and a packet of value tortillas - so about £3.70. Bought Asda gold value decaf instant coffee today and am having my first cup. Not bitter, but doesn't taste of much actually and there was a full teaspoon in there. Last jar was Sainsbury's decaf, which I liked, so won't be buying Asda version again. Must start notes on what is okay and what is not. I have Sainsbury's value whisky in the cupboard (perfectly fine) to go with the ginger ale & Vodka I bought before Christmas for the soda. I like a single drink sometimes in the evening. I've found wine just goes off (even with the vacuum top) because I don't drink 'enough' at a time and end up throwing in cooking, which is fairly wasteful. So this seems to be a fairly economical way of having a drink that I really enjoy.

Didn't buy any sweet snacky things. Got some tinned fruit, the compote (delicious, but the last one they had on the shelf, so may not get it again), rice pudding and found Ryvita with raisins. Hadn't been able to find that on mysupermarket, even though I'd searched. Last time I was really fit and healthy for any length of time was at school and when I first lived on my own. Just ate regular food & was never overweight, but also never had biscuits, chocolate or other sweet things in the house as 'normal' food. Hence, would like to return to that state.

Today's shop also included washing powder, dishwashing tablets, light bulbs, tea, coffee, vitamins & toothpaste (total of about £10.50), as well as regular items such as tinned tomatoes, passata, plain yog and carrots, so quite pleased so much came to about £20. Had put on list 2kg of value carrots, as was best value & was happy to eat lots of carrots this week. However, when I realised how many carrots that is, decided to get smaller bad instead. Not as good value, but actual spend was less and I wouldn't have got through all of them on my own. Cannot think how I could have reduced this shop of basics and food at all (short of removing the 'luxuries' - and a couple of these are effectively my fruit for this week). Will be interesting to see next week's shop. Shouldn't have as many household and cleaning products, but then again, I didn't buy any meat or cheese this week and that's always expensive.

Last night's dinner was nicely defrosted when I wanted to eat it and SO lovely to just reheat in oven (so hardly any time in kitchen or washing up) and have it taste totally delicious and know it cost as little as it could and was healthy.

Again, have been working since six and pleased with progress for work, but now really tired. Hope you're all having a good week.
  • fabfuture
    Options
    Got home late last night from meeting someone so didn't do any Ebaying. Will give up on the idea of a Thursday night and choose another time, otherwise nothing will ever get listed. Was a bit cross at myself for not having done that, but had managed to return shoes to New Look that weren't a great fit, once I'd worn them around home for an hour or so (little toe was sliding out). Was just outside 28 days period, so received a £20 voucher rather than refund.

One of my clients has just given me a large order, so have just invoiced her & asked how she would like to pay, so that should turn up in the coming week. (Trying to change my lax attitude to invoicing - no idea why that is). With that paid, by the end of May, I should be out of my overdraft and have paid both lots of the mortgage. That's a MUCH better position than the end of April, so very pleased. Also pleased that I bought some clothes at H&M yesterday, within budget, but first checked that I had enough cash in my purse to do so, rather than blindly putting it on my card. It's the first time I can remember doing that in recent memory, so perhaps it's the start of a new habit. The cashier had to dig out two bags of change, so wondered if everyone pays with a card rather than cash.
  • ragstoricheswannabe
    Options
    Hey fabfuture!

After you posted on my diary i had to find you as really want to cheer you on from the sidelines with your challenge!!!!!!! I am in awe!!!

What is it that you do as a job??

How big of a freezer have you got?? i am assuming there is just you living there?? with the huge bags of carrots (that not even i can use in the week and there are 2 adults, 1 child and a 9 mnth old in my house) you can always chop them into various shapes and sizes and blanch them then freeze. This also takes some time out of cooking as can use them from frozen, and can just bung them into dishes like mince, casseroles etc without all the peeling and chopping!!!! You can also do this with the huge bags of potatoes and other veg!!!!!

Good luck hun, have subscribed and am looking forward to being on this journey with you!!!!
    love rags
    xxxxxxxx

December 2018: £20,850.24. Now: £18,333.02 Total paid in 2019: £2517.22

Weight loss: 1.5lbs
  • fabfuture
    Options
    Hey fabfuture!

After you posted on my diary i had to find you as really want to cheer you on from the sidelines with your challenge!!!!!!! I am in awe!!!

What is it that you do as a job??

How big of a freezer have you got?? i am assuming there is just you living there?? with the huge bags of carrots (that not even i can use in the week and there are 2 adults, 1 child and a 9 mnth old in my house) you can always chop them into various shapes and sizes and blanch them then freeze. This also takes some time out of cooking as can use them from frozen, and can just bung them into dishes like mince, casseroles etc without all the peeling and chopping!!!! You can also do this with the huge bags of potatoes and other veg!!!!!

Good luck hun, have subscribed and am looking forward to being on this journey with you!!!!
    love rags
    xxxxxxxx
    Thanks so much for visiting rags. Have just been looking at my plan for what is happening moneywise month to month for the rest of the year. Can't believe that if I stay on track, with the income I'm planning (yeah, not always a certainly, but am aiming at monthly income targets I have hit before), I'll have my horrid MBNA card paid off in a few months. I'd rather not say what I do for a living ... otherwise it wouldn't exactly take people long with a bit of judicious googling to probably find out my identity and I'd like to stay anonymous. It means I can feel open about sharing.

Thanks for the tip about carrots & other vege. When you blanch them, how long do you do that for? Am all for batching & making my life easier. The freezer is relatively small - three regular drawers and a slimline shelf at the top, mostly for ice, but will take flat packets and I keep cut up herbs in there. When I made two servings of chilli this week, I figured that I could probably fit about 12 servings of that size in a drawer if they were in bags, even possibly more. At mo, have a large bag of value broccoli and cauliflower and some prawns taking up much of the room. Cauliflower cheese with bacon is on my menu for this week - really yummy and will use up some of the bag.
  • ragstoricheswannabe
    Options
    I understand the need to be annonymus (SP?)

I usually blanch them for 10 mins (from boiling) and i freeze on a lined baking sheet so that they dont clump together. Allows me to get just thr right amount out!!!

Ooh, cauliflower cheese with bacon........................yummy!!!!!! just wish OH could eat cheese now.............................
    December 2018: £20,850.24. Now: £18,333.02 Total paid in 2019: £2517.22

Weight loss: 1.5lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family