PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do You Ever Eat Out and Wish You Hadn't Bothered?

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well, hello to the resurrection of an 11 year old thread. :T :cool:
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Well, hello to the resurrection of an 11 year old thread. :T :cool:

You have to ask yourself how? :rotfl:
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    C'mon Asmoosy, spill.

I completely agree with the sentiments of this thread though. As a vegetarian it's only ever going to be Asian food that is worth a trip out for, the rest is tasteless vs what I can DIY and overpriced, esp nouvelle cuisine. I'd much rather eat home cooked food...as long as the person who does the cooking is not me :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In a word NO. It makes a change for someone else to do the cooking.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

Actually, I ask myself 'why?' (where's the roll-eyrs smiley when you need it? :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    In a word NO. It makes a change for someone else to do the cooking.
    And the washing up.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Asmoosy wrote: »
    Supermarket cafes are the worst. They use microwave meals and sell it to you for £4! Had this in Sainsbury's cafe today.

Same with most chain pasta places. I once went to Pizza Hut & asked for a carbonara with a different type of pasta & the waiter was like “Oh, it just comes ready-made with that pasta” & my response was “So I’m paying you £8 for a microwaved ready meal?:eek:”
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I must admit its high days and holidays if I eat out ,and pub chains are notoriously awful as a rule .But I took my DD to a Charringtons Toby one in Bromley a few weeks ago and it really was great value for money and we had a really good meal from the carvery. Our local brewers Faye is a bit hit and miss depending on what you want to eat .There is a lovely little green and kings pub though in a village not far from me at Bredhurst that do excellent meals and they also do a senior citizens two course meal for £5.99 and its not that much smaller than the ordinary meal. Well worth the odd meal out there My DGS Henry who is just under 6ft loves to eat there as he says the fish and chips is fantastic and (he can eat for England) :) he always comes out stuffed.

Supermarket cafes are awful though and considering they have a food shop on the premises its really not a great advert for them or their wares.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My son worked in a well known supermarket cafe a few years ago, they used to use all the produce reaching its sell by date in the cafe. That really doesn't bother me but it's perhaps not as fresh as it could be.

I enjoy eating out but I like to think that I get value for money and/or I can choose something I can't make myself.

Nothing more disappointing than a salad made with squishy tomatoes, bitter cucumber and iceberg lettuce. A few weeks ago I ordered a halloumi salad with griddled pepper and artichokes, served with a tomato and walnut salsa. What came was a bowl of rocket, two halves of cherry tomatoes, half a bag of walnuts and chopped up brie. What a disappointment.

I do like a good carvery though.
  • FrugalAndFabulous
    Options
    I love to eat out, more for the whole experience of going out rather than the food. And not having to cook/wash up is a real treat too. But honestly since I had kids I nearly always wish i hadn't bothered :rotfl: Granted my kids are young but I think I need to get a better grasp of expectations vs. reality because it costs a fortune and it's never the relaxing family meal I envisioned :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure