help please with Northern train strike

Options
Hi went on a booked holiday to the lake district yesterday and due to the strike it took 12 hours (not 5 and a half) and I had to take numerous different trains and 3 buses and a taxi. Cost me a small fortune and I missed all the meals at the hotel/ welcome drinks etc!

Any advice on my return next Saturday when heh strike is on again?

I've booked Arnside to Ipswich basically next Sat not through London.

someone at the hotel said Transpenine still run in the strike but not sure if anything will run from Arnside ad of course no staff there!!

Any help gratefully received. I assume I can apply for a a refund for the incoming travel?

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a bus/taxi to Lancaster train station. Assuming your ticket allows you, then get a virgin or transpenine to get you south (tpx if via Manchester or Virgin if via Birmingham). It's only the Arnside to Lancaster short run where it's only operated by Northern.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks pennywise so basically get to Lancaster by any means then.

Will reclaim both prepaid for fares later.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have booked on a specific train, using an Advance ticket, you should do your best to catch that exact train at Lancaster.

It looks though your journey could be
    dep Arnside 10.39 (Northern)
    dep Lancaster 11.27 (TPE)
    dep Manchester Piccadilly 12.42 (East Midlands)
    dep Ely 16.32 (Greater Anglia)

The train from Arnside to Lancaster did run last Saturday, so maybe it is included in the Northern "strike" timetable.

As far as delay-repay for your incoming travel is concerned, you should submit the claim to whichever train operating company introduced the delay from which all the knock-on effects occurred.
  • surfsister
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thanks jbuchanangb great, on Sat I was told by a guard no trains past Skipton!! Which wasn't true then? Mind you he was trying to help about 500 people who were getting very upset.

my booked tickets are Arnside, then Carnforth to Leeds (any time short return) via Skipton, Leeds 13.45 to Peterborough then Ipswich.

It's the part to Leeds which seems a no go. If I go via Lancaster then can I still use my prepaid ticket? It's all a muddle and no-one to help at the stations.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Carnforth to Leeds is also Northern, so also possibly affected by the Northern strikes. I think you need to contact their helpline to find out what alternatives are allowed on your ticket.
  • Captain_Phukwit
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    thanks jbuchanangb great, on Sat I was told by a guard no trains past Skipton!! Which wasn't true then? Mind you he was trying to help about 500 people who were getting very upset.

Both statements are true. Based on last Saturday's strike timetable Northern were running a limited train service between Arnside and Lancaster but nothing between Lancaster and Skipton. Thus jbuchanangb's advice to go via Lancaster and Manchester would be the best way to make your through journey.

I can't say for definite if you'll be allowed to make this journey if you've split your tickets to go via Leeds as Trans Pennine and East Midlands Trains will not unreasonably claim that as it's not their fault Northern are on strike then why should they accept Northern tickets. Also any refund for the delays on your outward journey may depend on whether you knew about the strike at the time you booked your tickets. If you'd bought your ticket before the strike was announced you should get a refund, if not it may prove more difficult.

Keep an eye on Northern's website for details of the limited service they'll be running on Saturday, though if it's practical I'd avoid Saturday altogether and try to come back either Friday or Sunday instead. Good luck!
  • surfsister
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Yes booked the trains weeks ago ages before the strike was announced. I can't travel Fri as I would have to buy a completey new ticket and waste another days holiday!

Thanks also for the good luck think I may need it!

Think I will fly somewhere in future! But not to Arnside obviously!
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To ensure you actually reach your destination, use the route I suggested. Talk nicely to any guards on trains. If they ask you to stump up for additional fares, then do so, making sure to keep proper records. Then write to Northern and claim any extra charges back from them, on the grounds that you couldn't use your intended route via Leeds because of their strike.
  • surfsister
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    yes will do appreciated!
  • surfsister
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Great result journey home much better than the one there! thanks for all the help going via Ely was a great idea! Thanks to all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure