Reference checks

Options
2»

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    NHS :undecided I don't know if they have a standard reference form but I seen a few that were the same from different NHS sites that asked questions like that with opportunities for a boss with sour grapes to throw a spanner in the works.

Sorry I am not clear....you seem to be saying the NHS were asking the question? That question is perfectly ok to be asked, but should be answered by HR in the old company based on the person's record; not on somebody's personal opinion of them.

Who is the "they" in "they put no on every reference of people who raised grievances with pay or poor working conditions" and how are you aware that they were doing this?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Most companies will only give a factual now a days.

People keep saying that but I can only recall having one factual reference amongst the plethora of fulle ones.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    People keep saying that but I can only recall having one factual reference amongst the plethora of fulle ones.

You personally? Can I ask how you know? I've never seen or been aware of any reference that's ever been requested or given for me. I suspect different industries may do things differently.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 11:44AM
    Options
    No, ones I've had as a recruiter. I know my last work reference given for me was a full one though because my new employer commented on how positive it was.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect different industries may do things differently.

Exactly - for example, a teaching reference will generally be quite extensive, whereas corporate organisations will often provide minimal information only.

Personally I can't help thinking that any reference which is based on opinion, rather than fact, is pretty pointless.
  • dominqueobs
    dominqueobs Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I am not clear....you seem to be saying the NHS were asking the question? That question is perfectly ok to be asked, but should be answered by HR in the old company based on the person's record; not on somebody's personal opinion of them.

Who is the "they" in "they put no on every reference of people who raised grievances with pay or poor working conditions" and how are you aware that they were doing this?

People move around in the NHS and not everywhere has a separate HR dept. so the requests will go to the manager who also deals with all the pay/work grievances. In a professional workplace it would be impartial and based on records, but I was just saying it does happen to people of all levels. They can just blame it on not being a team player even if they were well liked.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 8:19PM
    Options
    elsien wrote: »

I think the new GDPR as possibility put the frigtners on some companies now when it comes to referencing.

The OP might have had a communication at work recently detailing how GDPR will affect them at work and will possibly include something with regards to references.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family