Is this gaming PC any good?

Options
Hi all,

Could I get your opinion on:

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...ming-pc-10164418-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Is it value for money? Could I build it myself and save money? Will it run the latest games?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Link leads to a 404 error. Using the item number in the address though....do you mean the vortex minerva xt-r with i5 and nvidia gtx 1060 @ £999.99?

The graphics card is good but processor not so much imo.

This is typically what retailers do though - pair a really good CPU with mediocre GPU or vice versa.

Price up what the components would cost separately - and be aware sometimes better/newer components can be cheaper than ones that aren't being manufactured anymore.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will always be cheaper building yourself. And by all means look at PCWorld for an idea but NEVER buy from them. They are overpriced.
  • s0mojo
    s0mojo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As someone who's worked for PC World, yeah I'd avoid anything PC related, especially their gaming machines. Check out Overclockers or Scan for prebuilt systems
  • thunder367
    thunder367 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    look up what u need price it up using scan uk they have some of the best deals in uk.if ur local to bolton go vist them they will help u out.they also have a huge display of what u can get.i use them all the tiem for pc bits.im due to upgrade at end of year and going for a i7 with at least a 1060gt may even push to a 1080.but ill be spending like 1500 on my pc
  • Lagamorph
    Lagamorph Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Best place to go if you're planning a self build is https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/
    You can put in the parts you want and it'll identify where is selling them the cheapest. It doesn't always list every retailer but it can certainly help in saving a few quid.

It'll also help identify compatibility problems (Ie it'll identify if you pick a CPU that isn't compatible with the socket of your chosen motherboard)
  • jcol
    jcol Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2018 at 12:38PM
    Options
    I wonder what the OP done?
    Did they buy the overpriced PC world pc or got one built for them?

edit, just checked some of them out, a £700 pc that doesn't even include a SSD, is laughable in 2018
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    jcol wrote: »
    I wonder what the OP done?
    Did they buy the overpriced PC world pc or got one built for them?

edit, just checked some of them out, a £700 pc that doesn't even include a SSD, is laughable in 2018

It depends on the spec of the PC, for that price range I'd prefer it not to have an SSD and instead a better processor or graphics card as companies often hugely overcharge for a low end 128GB SSD or similar. Given how easy it is to fit an SSD and it's likely a hard drive will also be needed for a gaming PC, I'd rather fit my own choice of decent SSD.

John
  • Zygyra
    Zygyra Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    try te search on others resourses, i think this price may be lowest
  • JustABit
    Options
    Yeah, search the web, there are plenty of places with decent prices so that you can build a good PC for the lowest budget possible
  • ebayer2018
    Options
    PC World definitely the last place you should go to buy a PC, not only are they overpriced but the customer support if something goes wrong is close to useless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure