bifocals for driving?

Options
I'm considering getting a pair of bifocal glasses just for driving - anyone care to tell me about their experience of using this sort of lens for driving?

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I couldn't see with out my varifocals so I do everything with them on

My only concession to wearing them when driving, is that I come to a standstill at junctions and turn slightly in my seat to give me the best possible view of traffic to my right

But then as I say I have very poor vision. You may be able to see clearer then me from the side of your eye
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I moved to VF it took a bit to get used to them when driving. More for glancing to the side.
    Al fine now.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    should be easier than varifocals as no peripheral distortion. Make sure you have the lower seg set to dashboard distance rather than reading
  • simonineaston
    Options
    Cheers, folks! Helpful :-)
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The limitation with bifocals is that the distance you would normally read at is nearer than the distance you would normally be looking at the dashboard (Speedo etc). So the dashboard would not be as clear. However millions of people happily drive in bifocals. Varifocals would give you vision at all distances in the lens but you have to turn your head more, both options have a degree of compromise.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I used bifocals for driving for years until I started using a computer and needed varifocals.

I have no problem with side vision with varifocals but I do watch the size of my lenses and have higher quality lenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure