Income Tax - Sorry might be a stupid question

Options
FrankRizzo
FrankRizzo Posts: 223 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 April 2018 at 4:39PM in Cutting tax
Can anyone help?

I am currently a Basic Rate 20% tax payer (up to £43k) and I am looking to rent out my flat. Going by the . gov website it will put me above my income threshold and would make me a Higher Rate 40% tax payer (£43k+) i.e £35k salary and £8.5k income from my flat = £43.5k total annual income. Is that how it works?

Any help appreciated...

Comments

• Malchester
    Malchester Posts: 877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question but no question is stupid (even if some who post on here make you feel small with their sarcastic replies). If you want to know something that you do not already know ask a question.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    Not a silly question at all!
    I am also interested to understand how the new rules on interest relating to property income are calculated.
    Previously, you took the income, deducted the expenses, and put the net profit on the tax return.
    I believe that as the reliefs for mortgage interest on let property have changed from 17/18, the income from property is now added in with other income before expenses are taken off.
    So possible to be in theory a higher rate tax payer, as the property income takes you into the band, but not be making much profit as once the expenses come off, you still have a tax liability that you may not have had in previous years.
    Sorry -not explaining very well - which shows that I probably do not fully understand it properly.
    Can anyone give a 101 explanation of this please? Thank you!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can lower your income (I beleive) by making pension contributions so as to cancel out the additional rental income.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pinklady21 wrote: »
    Can anyone give a 101 explanation of this please? Thank you!
    the explanation is rather long and therefore much easier if you just read the guide that explains it

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-tax-relief-for-residential-landlords-how-its-worked-out-including-case-studies
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FrankRizzo wrote: »
    £35k salary and £8.5k income from my flat = £43.5k total annual income. Is that how it works?

Any help appreciated...
    since you are looking to let your property that implies you have not done so to date and therefore you should be looking at the 18/19 tax year figures, not the old ones you seem to be using

higher rate tax bracket for 18/19 starts at 46,350 so not really sure what you are thinking, you area and will be a basic rate taxpayer on those figures
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure