Turmeric Tablets

Options
Hello, I received a Facebook link to an Irish lady who was raving about these tablets, which apparently helped her chronic pain. Does anyone have any experience of these, and if so do the off-the-shelf tablets work? I'm curious :)

Comments

• Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If they did, why do you think a drug company hasn't picked up on it? There'd be millions to be made. There's no such thing as a miracle 'natural' cure.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/415313751866609/

Many users of turmeric and expert advice from here.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cyclizine wrote: »
    If they did, why do you think a drug company hasn't picked up on it? There'd be millions to be made. There's no such thing as a miracle 'natural' cure.

Turmeric is not patentable therefore there is no incentive for a drugs company to investigate its efficacy as a curative. Were GSK to invest millions, if not more, and discovered that it made you fitter and more attractive, it’d make the owner of Ahmed’s Asian Superstore happy, but GSK would not get back their investment. As far as I know existing studies have been done by non profit organisations such as universities. Many ‘natural’ substances are benficial. Beetroot can lower blood pressure. Blackcurrants are full of anti oxidants that are supposedly good for you.

That is not to say that turmeric is beneficial. People claim that curries are good because they contain turmeric, but the amount is tiny. Apparently there is no evidence that turmeric is beneficial to health, or for that matter detrimental in modest quantities. However, there is no evidence that it is safe in high quantities, and some turmeric is adulterated with substances that are toxic in high doses. So why take a chance based on unsubstantiated claims, when it could in fact have unexpected negative long term effects?

Claims for turmeric as a medicine are often made by quackery web sites, pushing their books, or products.

However, if you can find a source of pure turmeric, and the price is not silly, you could always try it.

Incidentally, what is the nature of your chronic pain, if that is not too personal a question?
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    Options
    We give our 8 year old spaniel (I know, no comparison to human pain) Golden Paste, a turmeric and black pepper mix, and it does ease her stiff joints and she seems brighter when on it. We buy it ready mixed and she has 2 pea sized blobs a day with food.

And there are a lot of discussions on social media about its health benefits. Me and my partner have now started having a small amount every day purely as a preventative measure
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5003001/

It may well be that there is insufficient research to prove either way, but the above does suggest it may be effective in pain relief. I believe that such research is expensive, and companies have no incentive to do it.
  • rajeshk4u
    rajeshk4u Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't comment on Turmeric tablets.

However, in Indian cooking turmeric is considered beneficial to overall good health. It is a powered yellow colour spice added to cooking. It has a strong smell. You could add Turmeric to say home-made vegetable soup. Don't get it on your clothes, as it is hard to remove.

I would not recommend getting a take away as a way of getting turmeric, as any benefits likely to be negated as take-aways are not as healthy as home made Indian food.

You can get fresh turmeric root and I know people who put them in a juicer along with carrots, but your machine will get yellow. Even with cleaning, it will be hard to shift the yellow colour off.

There are some home remedies based on turmeric....
  • worried123
    worried123 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have heard good things about turmeric for joint pain...its supposed to be a potent anti inflammatory.

Apparently though you need black pepper to activate the medicinal effects. I have also heard that it is best to use it in cooking as heat activates it...apparently. I have taken the capsules many times with peperine but i have a very sensitive stomach and it didnt really agree with me.

I would say that if you arent taking any medications like blood thinners give it a go as it wont do any harm
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    To get proper body levels of the active ingredient in turmeric, you'd have to eat kilograms of it daily...
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2019 at 4:01PM
    Options
    Cyclizine wrote: »
    To get proper body levels of the active ingredient in turmeric, you'd have to eat kilograms of it daily...
    The Curcumin content of Turmeric is around the 3 to 5% mark depending upon the conditions and when it is harvested.

The problem with Turmeric and curcumin in particular is that it is not very bioavailable. Black pepper and piperine extracts are used to help slow it's breakdown but they need to be used with caution IMO. Black pepper affects a liver enzyme which breaks down curcumin.

Fat helps it's absorption. Curcumin can be purchased in powder form but the low absorption would still need to be addressed. Liposomes can greatly increase it's absorption so it might be worth looking for some liposomal curcumin or make your own.
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I tried turmeric (and black pepper capsules from H & B) for my aches and pains in December, it has had no effect on the pain.

I did however find my depression lifted miraculously !! After about 6 weeks this effect lessened so I changed the dosage to two in the morning instead of one morning and one at night, this helped for another six weeks or so and then mood crashed again.

I started reading around and found that tumeric reduces tolerance to morphine and related drugs and I realised it had been interacting with the prescription painkillers I take in small amounts , so I stopped the tumeric , had headaches for a couple of weeks and then felt OK again, mood included .

Mood is now dropping and I have started small doses of tumeric but I don't like the idea of being on a codiene high so won't take it for more than I need to.

Before people start chipping in antidepressents have been tried and failed .
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport