Credit checks/ Mortgage Application

Options
My sister has young adult children both of whom are planning to purchase their own properties with their partners.

I told her that there might be a problem as both are still (ever since university days) using their family home as their main address whilst residing elsewhere. One in same city as family home (in large block of flats where post often doesn’t arrive ) the other in a different city (with address changes due to job).

My sister is now concerned that she mistakenly advised them to stick with the family home to ensure credit cards and confidential post are always safely received. Same applies to the electoral roll.

They are both paying their respective share of Council Tax in their flats, though unsure whether the bills are in their names or their partners’.

I wonder if this will cause difficulties (by providing potentially conflicting information), for credit checks when they apply for mortgages?

Given their home address remains the most stable for the reasons stated, how best should this be managed?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    This is one of those things that needs to be checked prior to applying.
    You (or your sisters kids) need to check what the lender would expect to be entered on the application.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Abidylan
    Abidylan Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
    I don’t think either have approached a mortgage broker or lender as yet.
    I think the idea is to get their house in order beforehand, in case it’s likely to become an issue.
    I’m hoping for some feedback here first:)
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Some lenders will be easier to deal with than others. I would expect most lenders to accept the application and use common sense, but there are some lenders who would make a meal of it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Abidylan
    Abidylan Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2018 at 9:19PM
    Options
    Thanks ACG that’s reassuring. What I didn’t want was a scramble to make admin changes if they weren’t absolutely necessary.

Common sense doesn’t always prevail. But then there’s also the danger of overthinking these things!
    I’ll pass this on and it’s up to them to decide what to do.
    Once again many thanks.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport