Mental health & work

Options
His hope to get some advice for my husband, he works for a large n.ireland company, he was employed 4 years ago as a production hand & has often been moved from pillar to post with a new position within the company, to get used to what he is doing & then to get moved to different factories. It now is taking its toll as he has been asked to move again, for 4th time in 10 months. He is getting extremely anxious & stressed & does not know what to do next, as every time he gets settled in a new told he is moved again. The anxiety is affecting his home life & im worried about his general mental health. He has not missed a day due to sickness in over 4 years & does not want to be off work with mental health problems as the problem will still be there when he returns. Is there anything we could suggest to the employers hr department so that he can stay in a permanent position. TIA

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    dumbo wrote: »
    His hope to get some advice for my husband, he works for a large n.ireland company, he was employed 4 years ago as a production hand & has often been moved from pillar to post with a new position within the company, to get used to what he is doing & then to get moved to different factories. It now is taking its toll as he has been asked to move again, for 4th time in 10 months. He is getting extremely anxious & stressed & does not know what to do next, as every time he gets settled in a new told he is moved again. The anxiety is affecting his home life & im worried about his general mental health. He has not missed a day due to sickness in over 4 years & does not want to be off work with mental health problems as the problem will still be there when he returns. Is there anything we could suggest to the employers hr department so that he can stay in a permanent position. TIA
    To state the obvious has he not asked to stay where he is?

And ultimately he needs to work out why its making anxious? Sounds like the rate him and move him to sort issues out, which he does and then they move him somewhere else.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • dumbo
    dumbo Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes he has on many occasions asked not to be moved, he has even offered to take a pay cut if that meant stability in one place, he is not sorting any issues & being moved to sort issues elsewhere, it's a basic job working in a factory, 1 minute he is in production then he is in packing, then he is in production & then again he is in packing. His anxiety is to do with not know what is happening next from day to day.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    dumbo wrote: »
    Yes he has on many occasions asked not to be moved, he has even offered to take a pay cut if that meant stability in one place, he is not sorting any issues & being moved to sort issues elsewhere, it's a basic job working in a factory, 1 minute he is in production then he is in packing, then he is in production & then again he is in packing. His anxiety is to do with not know what is happening next from day to day.
    He needs to work on dealing with the anxiety, ultimately the company can move him as they wish. if he gets signed off then the company will deal that according to their procedures.

Is he getting any counselling?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • ber25
    ber25 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Can the employer move him as they want to? What does his contract say? Is he employed in a specific position, or just "any job in the factory"? It might be worth getting some employment advice- union, or ACAS might be able to help.
    Your husband could ask HR to refer him to Occupational Health, who would be able to talk to him about how he is feeling, and make suggestions to the employer about how to help him. GP may also be able to help with mediciation for anxiety, and referral to counselling (or some areas can self refer).

In answer to your original question- could your husband ask why he is being moved so often, and if other epople are being moved as much as him?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm afraid I agree with Takeaway. He's a production hand - moving around goes with the role and is common. It means he gives "a hand" with whatever is needed.

That said, this isn't very clear. Being moved around in this way happens to see employees a lot, but it doesn't affect their mental health. Why is he being so severely impacted upon? Is there some underlying problem?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm afraid I agree with Takeaway. He's a production hand - moving around goes with the role and is common. It means he gives "a hand" with whatever is needed.

That said, this isn't very clear. Being moved around in this way happens to see employees a lot, but it doesn't affect their mental health. Why is he being so severely impacted upon? Is there some underlying problem?

+1

I worked in a factory years ago and it was commonplace to be moved around.

It shouldnt be causing anxiety though. The O/Ps husband needs to get help with that.

On the flip side, is there scope for applying for a job whereby he's not a production hand in the same company? ie, one with a fixed job title and fixed role?

Failing that... leave?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I started in the Civil Service nearly 50 years ago, people in clerical grades would be frequently moved from one type of work to another, often moving desks, obviously learning different procedures. Where the work priority was, that's where the people went. Even senior clerical grades could have 3 or 4 different roles.

Walk into Lidl, there will be someone shelf stacking, 5 minutes later that same person could be on the tills.

As others have said there must be an underlying cause for his anxiety and stress.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with the feedback. He really needs to take steps to address the core causes of his anxiety . I suspect that these core causes could equally cause anxiety triggers away from work in other situations.

What he doesnt need to do is make waves at work and/or go off sick as this will only provide temporary relief and probably make his anxiety worse but then for different reasons.

He needs to seek out help. GP could be a good first call.

Also may i thoroughly recommend a book?

"Brilliant CBT" by Doctor Stephen briars

You'll probably find a used copy cheap on abe books uk or similar..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • dumbo
    dumbo Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice, he wrote a letter to his manager explaining how he feels. HR have contacted him & will come back to him on Zfriday.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I hope your OH manages to come to some form of arrangement with his employers.

As asked above by Takeaway is your OH seeking counselling? Could the moving around a lot be linked to something that’s happened in his past, maybe some uncertainty from his childhood perhaps?

I’m just wondering as my mental health at work (and outside of) hasn’t been great for the last couple of months and some of it stems from childhood issues and never properly dealing with them.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure