Using mortage credit function for quick cash?

Options
truescot
truescot Posts: 170 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 October 2018 at 10:39PM in Mortgages & endowments
Just looking for some advice /thoughts from you lovely people (not been on here for a long time and normally just browse).

Currently have a 2 part lifetime tracker mortgage with 11 years left;

Part 1 (repayment): 42k @1.5%(BoE +0.75)
Part 2 (interest only): 62k @2.74%(BoE+1.99), currently overpaying by around £400-£500 per month to reduce the capital

We have just been gifted 55k from equity released when my mum downsized her house, and plan to use some /most of it for house improvements, but this may take a while. It's currently sitting in an instant access savings account earning 0.2%(!!!), as we really need to be able to access it, and in small amounts.

My question is simply would I be better using part of this as a lump sum to overpay Part 2 of our mortgage (unlimited overpayments)? My thinking is this would reduce the interest I am paying, but the credit facility could still be used to access the money.

Is this how it works, and is this a good idea? I would plan to continue to make the same monthly payments, regardless off the remaining capital.

Hope this makes sense
Skint: (adjective) The tendency to turn off the grill when turning the bacon.

Think skint - it makes things simpler

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Does your lender offer that facility?
  • truescot
    truescot Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does your lender offer that facility?

Yes, the terms of the mortgage state that there are no restrictions to overpayments and I can draw from the credit I build up. I have done it before with a much smaller sum (£1000). I had been overpaying then needed some of it back for an unexpected expenditure.
    Skint: (adjective) The tendency to turn off the grill when turning the bacon.

Think skint - it makes things simpler
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport