Has any of you did MCSA Database anlytics from Learning people, are they worth it?

Options
Hi all,
I need advise on online training providers for MCSA exams. I am wondering if they are worth it. some of them like "learning people" are very forcing on accepting their course with in one week of inquiring. previously somehow I landed on their web site while searching for courses. instead of taking me to a page where I could read course details, it took my email ID and phone number details, and with in a couple of hours their rep phoned me while I was busy with important work and started asking questions like my prev exp with the subject matter(SQL Server) and work experience before even quoting the price. I said I will decide and phone them myself, still they kept on phoning and once said that I took 30 mins of their time( my time is negligible looks like) and implying that after that I did not buy their course.Anyhow I have told them that I don't want to decide under pressure when I am paying ££££ and said I do not want to be contacted again.

I didn't like their aggressive attitude in making me purchase their course. Has any of you purchased any course from them? are they worth it? the one I have inquired was about £1300. That time I thought it is not worth it as they don't supply any printed material all that they provide is online labs to practice and may be one test fee.
TIA.

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't take up a course with a company that's so pushy. Never a good sign.

Personally I don't think you need a training course for this. Set yourself up a home lab, get a copy of what they test from the Microsoft certification website and get yourself some books/online resources. I haven't done the Database Analytics certificate but I did do a standard SQL Server MCSA. It probably did help that I'd already been working as a DBA for several years and any relevant experience will help. Exams were about £90 each if I remember correctly, although my employer paid for mine.

Three warnings. Firstly I found there were questions that weren't on the syllabus so I'd make sure to expand your knowledge beyond just what they suggest they test. Secondly they're looking for the Microsoft way, not necessarily the correct way you'd actually do things so be careful how you answer. Thirdly they like to ask questions about obscure features no one uses, so make sure to research as much as you can.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    if they behave like this do you think they are likely to be

A: A reputable company?
    B: Shysters?

Answer that question and make you own decision as to whether their courses will be worth anything.
  • WobblyDog
    WobblyDog Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got MCSE Data Management & Analytics, and I got that just by buying the Microsoft study guides and working through them over the course of a few months, and taking the exams. I've found the Microsoft training books for SQL Server exams are pretty good and quite cheap.

I'd be reluctant to pay for commercial training out of my own pocket unless I was really cash-rich-time-poor. Even with commercial training there's no guarantee that students will pass the exams needed for the certification.
  • Mr_Noodles
    Mr_Noodles Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yeah, tell them to get lost.

"Online training" means "watching some videos". For £1300 I'd expect three days in a classroom, but even that won't guarantee you pass the exam. (I used to be a Microsoft Certified Trainer by the way).

As suggested above, buy some relevant books - you can always bung the books back on Amazon afterwards and flog them if need be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure