Wills and Executors

Options
Folks,

Strangely unsure which group to post this in.

I am having difficulty with respect to appointing an executor for my will. I have only one person to whom I wish to leave my possessions (daughter) and don't particularly want to give her this task but no one else immediately springs to mind.

Appreciate I could pay a solicitor but I don't really want to incur unnecessary costs.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Geoff

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    geffers wrote: »
    Folks,

Strangely unsure which group to post this in.

I am having difficulty with respect to appointing an executor for my will. I have only one person to whom I wish to leave my possessions (daughter) and don't particularly want to give her this task but no one else immediately springs to mind.

Appreciate I could pay a solicitor but I don't really want to incur unnecessary costs.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Geoff

Why would anyone other than close friends/family want to do the job if they have no stake in the process? If you do not want to use friends/family surely it is best to chose a professional. And professional do not come cheap. Or would you trust your daughters inheritance to a non professional who you do not know personally?

The real downside to using a solicitor is that they can be extremely slow.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It is really not that difficult a task, especially if the executor is the sole beneficiary. Make her your executor, and if nessasary she can high a professional to help if she needs it.

Regardless of who the executor is, make sure you keep a document outlining wher all your money and rpinvestments are kept. Also keep a record of any gifts over your £3000 annual IHT exempt allowance you have made for the previous 7 years.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a section on wills etc in "Household & Travel" here;

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Regardless of who the executor is, make sure you keep a document outlining wher all your money and rpinvestments are kept. Also keep a record of any gifts over your £3000 annual IHT exempt allowance you have made for the previous 7 years.

And how to find your passwords for your on-line life.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In these circumstances appoint your daughter.

Make it as easy as possible for her by keeping full and accurate records of your financial transactions.

Write a list (and keep it up to date) of all your assets/liabilities - store in a safe place.

Make a note of any pensions you receive/expect to receive and details of the administrators.

Inform your daughter where you keep your Will, list of assets/other papers/deeds etc.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most solicitors will store your signed will for free.

You can also store it with the Probate Service -
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-deposit-a-will-with-the-probate-service-a-guide-for-people-who-want-to-deposit-a-will-for-safekeeping-pa7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure