PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to prevent mold from coming back OS?

Options
Morning everyone

I have two spots in my flat where I have problems with mold. Both are under a window where there is no radiator. I have the radiators neares to the spots on high to heat the corner but it doesn't seem to work...
I do everything to keep the humidity in my flat low. I open all the windows two or three times a day for about 5 minutes, don't dry laundry inside, I always use the ventilator when cooking and whenever I shower I close the bathroom door, open the window to let the hot, humid air out and then ran the ventilator so that no humidity goes out into the rest of the flat (bathroom has no mold)

I heat to about 22°C as everything else is too hot for my taste and I also don't want to heat just for the sake of heating... I have a hydrometer and according to it the humidity is well within a "healthy" range for the temperature in the the flat. So I don't think the problem is about too much humidity but about these two corners being too cold.

Any recommendations how I could get rid of the mold / make sure that it doesn't come back? Whenever the mold comes back (it is no problem in summer, but as soon it is colder it comes back...) I clean it with bleach and it is ok for a week or two but then it is back...
Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
Note to self, don't buy yarn!

Comments

• Proxima_Centauri
    Options
    Have you tried the HG mould remover? It's about £5, and works very well to remove mould. They do quite a range of products, and may also have something in their range to prevent mould from re-appearing.
  • Mohawk_3
    Mohawk_3 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Is it possible there is some kind crack in the wall under the window that lets rainwater in, and that's the origin of the damp?
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Sorry for the late answer.

Thank you for your advice, I will look for a mold remover who promises to keep it away for good and if it doesn't help I will get the landlord in to see if there is a crack in the wall. Hope can solve the problem alone...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Think I have more of a problem, two walls in the bathroom all of the grouting the orange type, this in the shower where the wall is wet most of the time. I cannot reduce it nothing works, black type, the wash basin around the tap and around the outlet can clean off but back in a few days. The only heating in there is a very small wall fan heater gives virtually no heat. Housing association flat so cannot change. Have automatic extractor fan in both bathroom and kitchen. They switch on when no one is in there and has not been for hours.

Kitchen, a different type of mould eats into plaster, horrible. Can't clean it off.

We also have a dehumidifier, called a heating enabler. I use it for several hours a day but not at night. It is high on the wall almost ceiling height buy the front door. Can't call it a hall very narrow passage not wide enough for a pushchair. If I ever got really fat I would be stuck here. I have electric storage heaters and am supplementing it with an electric oil filled radiator.

Furniture in my bedroom and my clothes in my wardrobe very mouldy have some hanging things to absorb damp.
  • Homeagain
    Options
    Think I have more of a problem, two walls in the bathroom all of the grouting the orange type, this in the shower where the wall is wet most of the time. I cannot reduce it nothing works, black type, the wash basin around the tap and around the outlet can clean off but back in a few days. The only heating in there is a very small wall fan heater gives virtually no heat. Housing association flat so cannot change. Have automatic extractor fan in both bathroom and kitchen. They switch on when no one is in there and has not been for hours.

Kitchen, a different type of mould eats into plaster, horrible. Can't clean it off.

We also have a dehumidifier, called a heating enabler. I use it for several hours a day but not at night. It is high on the wall almost ceiling height buy the front door. Can't call it a hall very narrow passage not wide enough for a pushchair. If I ever got really fat I would be stuck here. I have electric storage heaters and am supplementing it with an electric oil filled radiator.

Furniture in my bedroom and my clothes in my wardrobe very mouldy have some hanging things to absorb damp.

How awful, I think you should have the HA inspect the property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure