Dental Implants Removal

Options
Is it possible to have a dental implant post removed whilst leaving the actual implant in the jaw?

TIA

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    This is the structure of a dental implant https://www.toothwisdom.org/a-z/article/dental-implants-are-not-created-equal/

Implants are not fit and forget various components need replacing over the years . For this reason the crown and the abutment/superstructure are designed , on most implant systems , to be replaced by an implantologist with the right tools.

A few implant systems such as all zirconium cannot be disassembled in this way.

Different attachments can be put on some implant systems so instead of eg holding a crown on it could be used to secure a denture.

If all the "top" of an implant was removed a cap of some sort would be necessary over the part in the gum to stop food etc getting caught and damage to the threads of the implant.
  • wilfred30
    wilfred30 Posts: 875 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you for that Brook2jack. I think I need to give more detail.

Around 30 years ago, I had 6 dental implants. Over the years, 5 of them have fallen out, or should I say the connectors (what I called posts) fell out.

They were above the gum line rather than flush to it like in the diagram of your link. My one remaining implant crown (two teeth) sometimes comes off exposing the post-like metal connector and it causes me quite a lot of pain as it comes to a very sharp point and it cuts the side of my tongue.

I was hoping that I could just have the connector removed and, as you say, a cap fitted over the implant inside my gum. Is that possible?
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    What has your dentist suggested? What has happened to the other implants and what is replacing them?

There are many things that may be possible but it needs x rays to assess the health of the implant itself . If you have been sticking the crowns back on yourself that may have caused problems.

If it has been a long while since you've seen a dentist/implantologist then make an appointment to discuss your options.

It may be possible to remove the superstructure and place a healing cap but it depends if the bits are still available for your implants. This is more likely if it is a well known make and placed in this country. Implants need special wrenches , tools and special fitments. It is helpful if you know the type of implants that were placed.
  • wilfred30
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    What has your dentist suggested? What has happened to the other implants and what is replacing them? The dentist didn't do anything when my other implants fell out. No cap was fitted and they were replaced with a denture.

There are many things that may be possible but it needs x rays to assess the health of the implant itself . If you have been sticking the crowns back on yourself that may have caused problems. No, I haven't been sticking them back on myself, the dentist cemented them back on.

If it has been a long while since you've seen a dentist/implantologist then make an appointment to discuss your options. Yes, I think my dental practice has an implantologist so I'll make an appointment.

It may be possible to remove the superstructure and place a healing cap but it depends if the bits are still available for your implants. This is more likely if it is a well known make and placed in this country. Yes, they were placed in this country but I lived in a different county at the time.. Implants need special wrenches , tools and special fitments. It is helpful if you know the type of implants that were placed.
    Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport