Is it possible to buy back my IBM vested rights?

Options
I left IBM in 1990. I was vested for their pension plan but opted out for $2K. I was young and ignorant of what I opted out of. I have heard that there is the possibility of buying my vesting / pension back. Is this an option? If so, what is the process and cost?

Comments

• JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to check, are you in the UK? This is a British forum; I am surprised to see a dollar symbol used in this case.

Generally speaking, no, I am afraid you missed your chance. You should never opt-out in the first place.
  • First, Nothing indicates that this website is UK based.

Second, thank you Captain Obvious for stating the obvious which I had already admitted to in my initial post that it was a mistake to opt out.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    First, Nothing indicates that this website is UK based.

Second, thank you Captain Obvious for stating the obvious which I had already admitted to in my initial post that it was a mistake to opt out.

You are going to be such a loss to MSE given you now know it's a UK site...
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

;) You may be surprised how many people that do need stating the obvious on this pension forum.

Still, I do hope that you will manage to resolve the issue. :)
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

First: there is nothing to stop US (or indeed other nationalities) using MSE, but it is clearly very UK-focussed: have a look around if you did not realise that. We have at least one regular contributor who is Stateside, and who’s input is valued and valuable.

Second: if you take umbrage at someone taking time to politely respond and reply as you did, well, I’m not sure any forum will especially welcome your input. Good luck.
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • german_keeper
    Options
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    First: there is nothing to stop US (or indeed other nationalities) using MSE, but it is clearly very UK-focussed: have a look around if you did not realise that. We have at least one regular contributor who is Stateside, and who’s input is valued and valuable.

Second: if you take umbrage at someone taking time to politely respond and reply as you did, well, I’m not sure any forum will especially welcome your input. Good luck.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I wasn't intending to post but if I had I'm not sure I would have been as polite as your good self!!!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 24 January 2020 at 10:56AM
    Options

In your haste to 'have a go' at a member who was asking a valid question given your information in your first post, you've still not confirmed if your pension was in the UK or US...

Have you asked the IBM pension fund managers if it's possible?
    And how much it will cost?
    And what the process is?
  • Lummoxley
    Options

Sometimes a Captain Obvious is required when General Ignorance and Major Mistake are involved. :)
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lummoxley wrote: »
    Sometimes a Captain Obvious is required when General Ignorance and Major Mistake are involved. :)

& all that's left is Private Pickle :rotfl:
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Notepad_Phil
    Notepad_Phil Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Whenever I'm looking to find out more about a site I'll always look for an 'About us' type link that will usually be near the very top or the very bottom of each page on the site - if you had done this then you would have found the 'About the site' link at the bottom of the page and from there seen that 'MoneySavingExpert.com is the UK's biggest consumer website'.

Good luck with your quest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport