PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you consider Tradwives to be Old Style?

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can recall when my parents got divorced in the early eighties the battle my mother had with the bank to get a business loan/mortgage because they wanted a husband's signature. She was quite glad she'd kept working at that point. I do wonder what tradwives do when their husband ditches them for another model.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    snoozer wrote: »
    A tradwife isn't just another term for housewife. As well as fulfilling the traditional household duties she is expected to defer to her husband's opinion, dress to please him and just generally be a second class citizen. despite being a stay at home mum in the eighties and being fairly old style there is no way I would have pandered to my husband to that extent.

Why would any woman, in the 21st century, consider that to be something to aspire to?

I don't know what is more sickening, that there are women who find being a slave to their master acceptable or that there are men who actually want a woman to be so.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Perhaps there is a 'middle way' to the extremes that seem to be being pictured of either being a career woman and letting the house be run around that or being a willing or otherwise domesticated slave subject to the will and wants of a dominating man?

I didn't have a career, I worked and continued to work through my first marriage and am glad I did so as when it ended abruptly and out of the blue I had to find somewhere to live and provide for myself entirely and this was in the early 1970s. When I remarried and had children it was the norm to stay at home but I was so lucky that I had the choice, HWK didn't 'expect' me to do so and was fair and equal enough to give ME the choice on what I did and would have been entirely happy whatever I decided. I 'chose' to stay at home and look after the children myself and be the 'housewife' until the youngest child started school and I then found jobs that fitted round school hours which seemed sense. HWK is a dear and very easy to live with man, he didn't expect a perfect home with a 'stepford wife' running it and encompassed the chaos and unpredictable nature of life with young kids on a limited salary with his usual good attitude and humour and did his share I add!

I think most women wouldn't willingly be the 'domestic servant' in 2020 when most women juggle jobs and family commitments so those who do choose to be 'tradwives' (what an ugly word that is) must see it as a viable alternative to being a working wife and it must fulfil their expectations in life or they wouldn't be doing it would they?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A tradwife isn't just another term for housewife. As well as fulfilling the traditional household duties she is expected to defer to her husband's opinion, dress to please him and just generally be a second class citizen.

Does not compute....

:)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have no problem with people or either gender choosing to stay home... For me, I was crawling the walls after I had DD and had to go back to work for that reason... I was 200 miles away from my family, all my friends worked, OH was at work and the mother baby groups bored me rigid; all they talked about were the babies... I was desperately lonely. Going back to work for 2 days a week saved my sanity. It was pure choice, we could have afforded for me not to. But OH recognised the need.

But OH has always been a 'muck in' kind of man anyway - he'd frequently come home from work and cook and / or put the kids to bed and would never expect a 'tradwife'. Interestingly, the woman featured on the BBC has made a business out of it - so not so 'trad' after all :think:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A tradwife isn't just another term for housewife. As well as fulfilling the traditional household duties she is expected to defer to her husband's opinion, dress to please him and just generally be a second class citizen. despite being a stay at home mum in the eighties and being fairly old style there is no way I would have pandered to my husband to that extent.
    The way it is being portrayed sounds horribly Stepford to me :(
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    The way it is being portrayed sounds horribly Stepford to me :(

I only read that book a few years ago and I was quite shocked as I haven't ever seen the film and didn't read any reviews first. I thought Stepford Wife just meant a competitive woman who tries to have the perfect family and home life. The book is very creepy and unsettling!
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    Sounds like another stupid label for people who want to get on TV - I've never heard the term either.
    But am amused - where I was brought up, a 'traditional' husband deferred to his 'traditional' wife if he knew what was good for him!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I only read that book a few years ago and I was quite shocked as I haven't ever seen the film and didn't read any reviews first. I thought Stepford Wife just meant a competitive woman who tries to have the perfect family and home life. The book is very creepy and unsettling!

Not read the book, but whilst both films were played for laughs, they were billed as horror films. The original film was extremely creepy and quite dark, the later Nicole Kidman version was lighter.

The book and original film were written as stark warnings against the backlash against the feminist movement of the late 60s and early 70s. I think the backlash was more pronounced in the USA, especially in the "Bible Belt".

I too hadn't heard the term "tradwife" until very recently so I've been trying to find out more.

I have always felt that feminism is about choice, so whether a woman chooses a career or to be a homemaker should be for the individual to decide. However, on reading up about "tradwife". It does seem that, just as with the backlash, there is an element of political and religious dogma af work. Especially in the US.

For a variety of reasons I chose to be a stay at home mother during the 80s and 90s but I certainly would never have regarded myself as subservient to my husband.

And he certainly wouldn't have said so.:rotfl:

I am all for women exercising the choice to be stay at home mothers just as I am all for men exercising their choice to be stay at home fathers - it's up to the couples themselves to decide what works for them.

However I do find the idea of anyone of either sex being subservient to their partner extremely disturbing so I do find the ideology of "tradwives" being submissive and obedient rather worrying.

The road to Gilead?? :eek: (Handmaids Tale).

I think these women need to be careful what they wish for.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I can only assume they grew up in households that operated in such a manner, and have been brainwashed by their parents to also be subservient.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport